Yesterday, I joined a gym. Today was my first day...

Options
My dear friend and I have been scoping out gyms recently. Finally, we made our choice and signed up last night.

I was nervous about being judged by others and my lack of stamina. Today was our first day...and it was so much FUN.

Going back tomorrow for zumba. Just wanted to share my sense of giddy excitement with you all. :)

Replies

• zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    People aren't judging you there! IF they are.. they won't be at the gym for long. They are the one's that come at the beginning of the year, judge everyone, to never return until the new year again. Have fun and enjoy the gym! It's my second home. I can wear what I want and do whatever I want anyway that I want!
  • HZ15
    HZ15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I was in exactly the same position 11 months ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner. It's a lot of fun with all the endorphin payoffs of chocolate but with better ones for the rest of you. It was a surprise, a relief and a joy to discover that nobody judges. Even the hardcore weights guys are friendly and encouraging. And it's amazing how quickly you become one of the people being asked for opinions or advice.

My advice... try lots of different classes and activities but try each one at least twice (first time can be a bit of a bodyshock). Some you'll love, some you won't - but even some of those you'll go back to for the results. And don't be scared of weights - just get an induction (or two) or join a weights based class so you know your using them properly.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I love my gym.. There are either people who mind their own business (mostly) or people who are crazy friendly (lots). Almost everyone there is silently cheering each other on.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Gyms are fun. God Luck,
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Dont even worry about feeling out of place. Everyone in that gym is there for the same reason...to be healthy! I felt the same when I started. Felt liek everyone was staring at me and like I was the big girl. Finally I decided that I didn't really care what they were saying or thinking (if they even were) and that I was there for MYSELF. I told myself over and over that I deserved to lose weight, I deserved to feel good and be healthy and fit! Stick with it and remember you are there for YOU and no one else! I also thought that skinny people were just skinny. Well, I was wrong. All those skinny girls are in there daily like I am! It's work for skinny girl and big girls. If your gym offers classes take them. They are amazing and great. I work out so much harder in the group fitness classes then I ever do on the machines. So, once you go for a good month or so try a class. And remember that you will feel odd the first few classes until you learn the moves! Best wishes!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE going to the gym! If I didn't have kids I'd go everyday. I turn up my music and people watch all the while burning calories and/or building muscle. It's an awesome way to pass time. The endorphins are a plus too!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

Don't worry about your stamina and such, that will come.

Trust me - when I started at 245lbs and couch to 5k I couldn't run a minute non stop. I am not even lying and the chest/lung pain was intense. Now I can run damn near 10k and I am sure people think 'wow how does she do that' but I was there once too. Time passes anyways, so accomplish alot with that time :)

Good luck
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Today I was kinda zoning out and suddenly a wave of cheering and clapping swept the gym. I kinda come to and ask the guy walking past me what just happened. One of the members (who came to the gym after her second heart attack and newly diagnosed diabetes) had hit her weight and BF% goal and the whole gym wanted to celebrate with her. It took her a couple of years and seems to have been a real inspiration to a lot of the other people. While folks were congratulating her, the owner even slipped out and bought her flowers from the florist next door.

I never imagined a gym could be like this!
  • suzanne_oh
    suzanne_oh Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My dear friend and I have been scoping out gyms recently. Finally, we made our choice and signed up last night.

I was nervous about being judged by others and my lack of stamina. Today was our first day...and it was so much FUN.

Going back tomorrow for zumba. Just wanted to share my sense of giddy excitement with you all. :)

I recently moved to a new city and just joined a gym this week, so I'm right there with you! Today was my first day going and I felt great! Congrats to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!