Rethinking weight goal.

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bones have sizes? You're bummed and you haven't even picked a goal weight yet?

I have a suggestion. Don't worry about pulling some arbitrary number out of a hat right now. Chances are that no matter what the number is, when you get close to it you won't be satisfied with how you look. That's because random numbers are, well, random.

How about this instead. Start an exercise program that gets you cardio and strength training for 30-45 mins 4-5 days per week. And then use MFP to eat in a calorie deficit so that you lose a pound or so a week. After a few months, we'll reevaluate. By that time, maybe you'll decide you like running or biking and there's some event you want to train for. Or you like lifting and there's a certain amount of weight you'd like to be able to lift over your head. We'll change to a program that better suits your needs at that time.

Let's stop spending time choosing random numbers and get started on getting in shape. One day, you'll look in the mirror and like what you see. Whatever you weigh on that day will be your goal weight.

Wow...just wow. AMAZING ADVICE! I wish I'd known you when I was younger. :flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I have a suggestion. Don't worry about pulling some arbitrary number out of a hat right now. Chances are that no matter what the number is, when you get close to it you won't be satisfied with how you look. That's because random numbers are, well, random.

How about this instead. Start an exercise program that gets you cardio and strength training for 30-45 mins 4-5 days per week. And then use MFP to eat in a calorie deficit so that you lose a pound or so a week. After a few months, we'll reevaluate. By that time, maybe you'll decide you like running or biking and there's some event you want to train for. Or you like lifting and there's a certain amount of weight you'd like to be able to lift over your head. We'll change to a program that better suits your needs at that time.

Let's stop spending time choosing random numbers and get started on getting in shape. One day, you'll look in the mirror and like what you see. Whatever you weigh on that day will be your goal weight.

Dave with the truth-bombs. ICBM style.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Awesome advice! Well said!
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    Okay, I will tell you the cold hard truth. You will "look better" at130 than 150. I'm 5'7" with a muscular / athletic build, and I MUCH prefer how I look at 130 than my high weight of 145. I also get complements on my body all the time, which was NOT the case at 145.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    However you refer to it, frame size mkes a difference. How wide your shoulders are, how wide your ribcage is, how wide your hips are. How long your torso is vs. your legs. All of those can vary hugely across a woman of the same height. If our skeletons were really so identical underneath, they'd never be able to identify bodies from skeletons. But the variations are real, and make a big difference in how our bodies are put together, how clothing fits, where we carry our weight, and how we look at different weights.

Drives me batty when people get hung up on the number on a size tag (what size jeans will I wear?) as a marker. If your pelvis is wider, you're never going to get below a certain size -- and trying to do so will simply look awful. My mom and I joke that we'll both sitill be a size 13 size months after we're dead (she once got to 115 pounds at 5'9 through illness nd was still a size 13, but looked gaunt and had no butt to fill out the back of those size 13 jeans).
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

^^This.

My 'goal' weight has changed at least three times since I started. If it makes you happy, pick a number and work towards it, then re-evaluate when you get there.
  • jesssi1984
    jesssi1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    However you refer to it, frame size mkes a difference. How wide your shoulders are, how wide your ribcage is, how wide your hips are. How long your torso is vs. your legs. All of those can vary hugely across a woman of the same height. If our skeletons were really so identical underneath, they'd never be able to identify bodies from skeletons. But the variations are real, and make a big difference in how our bodies are put together, how clothing fits, where we carry our weight, and how we look at different weights.

Drives me batty when people get hung up on the number on a size tag (what size jeans will I wear?) as a marker. If your pelvis is wider, you're never going to get below a certain size -- and trying to do so will simply look awful. My mom and I joke that we'll both sitill be a size 13 size months after we're dead (she once got to 115 pounds at 5'9 through illness nd was still a size 13, but looked gaunt and had no butt to fill out the back of those size 13 jeans).

I was just saying this last night to my husband! I want a dress when I lose all this weight and he was asking me why size to get. I said "that's just the thing, I will never be a size 4or 2 without changing my bone structure! :-) but that's okay with me, because I'm NOT hung up on size charts, just trying to be healthy and not huff going up stairs or walkin down the street. I want to be able to run jump and play! Maybe even have my hubby be able to actually pick me up?! To answer, yes I set a goal weight that's an estimate, not a goal weight that's "I have to hit this or else!" It's more, let's get here and see how I'm doing, how I feel and how I look! So anywhere between 110-120 lbs would be ideal for me to lose. But I doubt that'll ever get me down to a 4. I'm expecting I'm going to like being around a 6-8 or a medium....
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6
    SW: 165
    CW: 137
    GW: 130 (possibly 125)

However, body shape/ where you carry weight has to do with what your goal body should be :) I carry weight in my stomach and my bust. I've always considered myself an "inverted triangle", although some body shape calculators say I am hourglass, others say I am (was) apple.... Anyways going to grab a pic to post :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    8524763835_0e4ac8e2c1.jpg
    compare- side by Erikalynne2013, on Flickr

About 10 lbs lost between pics. 165 lbs, 156 lbs, 146 lbs. And my profile pic is around 141 lbs I believe.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Forgot to answer your question about sizes :)

Starting I was L or XL in shirts (depending on type) and size 11 in jeans (or 32 if yours go by that sizing). Currently I am usually a M in shirts and size 7/9 (or 28) in jeans, the 7's fit but still have a little muffin top in them so I still wear my 9 cause I am self consious, but the 9's are loose so I have to pull them up throughout the day.

I have always considered myself to have a medium to large frame.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    im 5 foot 6 and 137lbs my bf is 23%, my goal is 130lbs but 20% body fat, oh and im a size 12