Not your average girl...

Options
Hi, I'm April, 46 yr old mom and grandma from Eden, N.C. I currently live in Axton, Va., and am a cashier at Walmart Pharmacy in Eden. My grand-daughter, Destiny, is my world - thus my name change (formerly nannybob), but because of my new attitude on getting in shape, it seemed to fit.

One kind of interesting fact about me is that I am a Ghost Hunter :noway: , and the founder of Beyond Our Realm Investigations, formerly North Carolina Paranormal Research Society. It was fun and exciting, and actually great exercise, but once my grand-daughter came along, I don't have much time for it anymore.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I was 45, and am determined to remain insulin-free, as well as becoming med-free. After losing 20 lbs, I have already came off of one medication, and am ready to be done with all of it. One of the biggest setbacks for me is how tired it makes me. For those of you blessed to have avoided the disease - lose that weight and greatly lessen your chances! :wink:

~April

29546001.png

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being taken off one of your meds and losing 20lbs. All i can say is that you can do it and keep going. I was just telling a friend on here how my dad was pre diabetic, changed his diet and is now pill free. I could feel his happiness and I was so proud of him. Watching him have to take pills and check sugar all the time just seemed like torment. No one should have to suffer like that. I can't wait to see you post a topic when you are pill free! One of the major reasons I decided to get healthy was because of my dad and grandmother being diabetic. My dad reminds me so often that its way harder to change your lifestyle once you're older. Be healthy now. I really wish you all the best.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi April - Good for you for losing 20 pounds! AND being able to stop taking one of your meds. My family has a history of diabetes, so I have an idea about what you're experiencing. My grandmother died from complications from it, my brother controls his with diet and exercise and I luckily don't have it, though my sugar been borderline at times. But not now. Now it's in normal range.

You can definitely succeed at this, as there are lots of us here who help each other stay motivated. And you have the extra bonus of your adorable grandchild :love: we'll all get there together!
  • AmandaMarie916
    AmandaMarie916 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That's great April. I can't wait to get to my 20. My doctor told me if I didn't get my act together that I could run the risk of developing diabetes and I didn't want that so that was one of my motivators to get my butt moving. I wish all the best for you.