No more excuses not to run

Options
My husband and daughter have PKD (poly-cystic kidney disease). My son may have it but hasn't been screened yet.

My point to this post it this: My daughter is sick and in pain a lot of the time. She runs. She runs 6, 8 or 10 miles at a time. Sometimes, she runs 4 miles to the gym, rides 20 miles on the stationary bike, the she runs the same 4 miles home. She runs to keep her sanity. She runs to stay healthy and fit. She runs to hopefully hold back the inevitable outcome that PKD holds.

I am not a runner. I've always wanted to be, but can never seem to train past about 2 miles.

If my beautiful daughter can do it so willingly and without complaint (other than sore calves and needing new running shoes), then dammit I should be able to do it too. I'm just middle-aged and lazy. I don't have a chronic disease.

I have no more excuses.

Replies

• lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I totally get you i decided that it was time to get myself moving, i already do tae bo but i have been having the urge to run but i know that i have to take my time so i have begun by wallking and running in intervals. i feel so good afterwards and hope that am going to be able to run more as time goes. good luck to you
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm middle aged too and I just started running. I'm using the couch to 5k (c25k) on cool running.com. There's a group on mfp too, so you can get the support you need. Check it out and good luck!