Options
2»

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    just to be blunt:

constipation!

make sure you drink a lot of water otherwise you will get it. It's good not to jump into a high shake intake at first, just be a little gradual - don't start having 2 every day out of nowhere is what I'm saying. I tend to no have any issues in that department, but when I started having 2 shakes a day I found I did start to have issues. It can go either way - make things easier or harder if you know what I mean. Just make sure you have 3L of water a day if possible and you should be OK :)

I take Weider's weight down (vanilla) and mix it with chia seeds to get more fibre and soymilk because... yummy soy milk!

I haven't had any problems in this area - so I suspect it just depends on the person. I'm sorry but you can't make blanket statements like the bold part. Feel free to say - this MAY be a side effect. As a warning that it may happen is always welcome. I'm not sure why more protein would cause constipation but hey, who knows, the body has a mind of its own at times :wink:

Never has an issue here either.

As far as pros:
    helps get adequate protein
    inexpensive ( I do a 50 gram protein shake for about $1.50 per day)
    Easy and convenient

Cons:
    Nothing that I can think of.

FYI, you want to shooting a 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass per day at a MINIMUM if you are very active with exercise. You said you weren't sure if you were getting enough and I wanted to give you a benchmark. Good luck!!

ETA: The best combination of great flavor, texture and and most economical I have used is Gaspari Myofusion Milk Chocolate. I get is from SB Muscle 10 lbs at a time. (My wife and son also use it). I've tried many including ON. Some people swear by Trutein but I have not tried it as it is more expensive.

oh really, I thought it was pretty common? I googled about 'side effects' when I started taking powder regularly because I found myself more thirsty and with those kind of issues (which I never ever have) and that came up on a list of complaints on the forum (this was a while back, can't link you sorry).

I guess everyone's experience is different! But there's nothing wrong with trying to stick to the 2L a day :)
  • etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    One con of protien shakes I've found.
    I'm pretty good at keeping rubbish out of reach most of the time, but having a tub of protein powder which tastes fantastic sitting there can be a real temptation.

For me, that's a pro- I use a protein shake as a healthy dessert or late night snack option- like a milkshake only good for me! I do make sure it fits into my daily plan, though.
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    bump
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Cons, sometimes constipation and the calories in them depending on what they are can be a bit high sometimes. I like the Naked Truth Protein Shakes. They don't taste so powdery as some they just taste like a healthy smoothie. Pros if you drink them after you workout it helps you maintain your muscle and your muscles feel less sore when you work out.