Sloppy Joe's

Options
kiffypooh
kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello All,

I wanted to make sloppy joe's from scratch and wanted to see if anyone had a good recipe. Ideally I would like no canned goods, etc but I will take what I can get.

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    make a really thick spaghetti sauce... that's it. By making your own you will cut back on preservatives.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was hoping to cut back on preservatives as well as the sodium of the canned stuff.

I would still like something without canned tomatoes and I don't know how to make spaghetti sauce without canned tomatoes.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    have you tried looking into website that have freshly made tomatoes sauce?
    what my mom usually do is boil the tomatoes. blend it with what ever ingredient you like for your sloppy joe. then cook it with the ingredient. and i think thats about how to make it. but if it doesnt thicken. by cooking it for a while.. then... you would have to add something into it to help it thicken
  • malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know this is kinda of time consuming but I make a sauce that my husband loves and I just use whatever tomatoes I have and peel the skin off, dice them up into pieces, cook them for like 30 min, and it turns "Sauceylike" but with some chunks of tomatoes.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Sloppy Joes

1 Pound Ground Chicken Breast
    1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
    1/2 Cup Chopped Bell Peppers
    1/4 Cup Chopped Celery
    1 Clove Garlic, minced
    1/2 Cup Ketchup
    1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
    1 Tablespoon Prepared Mustard
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
    1/8 teaspoon Salt
    6 Lite Hamburger Buns

In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic over medium heat until the chicken is no longer pink. Drain off any liquid. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili powder and salt. Pour this mixture over the chicken and mix well. Cook until the liquid has evaporated, stirring often. Allow to cool slightly. Place 1/3 cup of the mixture between each hamburger bun and serve.

Serves: 6
    Per Serving: 213 Calories; 8g Fat (29.6% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 590mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. WWP: 4 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)

I have not tried it, but the recipes from this website are great.