My weight is keeping from doing what I love!

Options
For a few years now I have been thoroughly in love with Photography, even starting my own business a little over a year ago. When I first started my business, I was so happy and ready for anything but as time went by that feeling soon changed to fear and sadness. Being a photographer isn't as easy as some might think and to be a good one being physically fit is a great help. I found myself having to get into the most awkward positions to get some great shots and each and every time all I could think about was how horrible I must look trying to sqat down or get down on my knees. My love of photography grew from being my love to my greatest fear! As of today, I dread anyone asking to take their family photos because all I can see the "fat girl" trying to roll around on the ground.

Is there anyone else who has felt that they had to give up something they love because of their weight?

Replies

• Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    When I was at my highest (220lb) I didn't enjoy going out, or shopping (which I love). I never went to parties (I love dancing) with my friends because I never had something that fitted and looked good on me. I felt like I was wasting my youth, so yeah I can relate.
  • NewFrenchFemme
    NewFrenchFemme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up! Good photographers, who can put people at ease whilst delivering great results, are worth whatever they weigh in gold. I know what you mean about "photographer's knee" though.
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    Theatre....I was in high school theatre and landed a few lead roles of musicals and plays but once I got out of high school my weight doubled, I tried out for one more musical after high school and was cast as an extra...I was crushed because I knew my weight had something to do with it. (not the fact that I was too heavy to be a leading character but the fact that I was so self conscious I just didn't have the charisma or "spark" I used to I guess. Directors really pick up on that) After that I was too self conscious to get on a stage and perform. I want to get back to the stage...I love it, I love singing, dancing, performing...I miss it.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    my last year was all about doing stuff i wasn't able to do two years ago... its awesome! don't give up. for me, it was just wanting to be more active. and being more social. there were so many things i pretended not to like b/c i wasn't sure if i could do them physically or not. and didn't want to find out that i couldn't in front of other people. but now, i know my body can handle so much more than i thought it could. biking, hiking, a waterpark, trips to the city and not worried about being out of breath from walking, helping people move (and altho not too fun, it is quite the workout moving couches from one house to another), all types of stuff, even watergun fights with my son. i am mad at myself for getting to the point of where i was b/c looking back on it now, i was missing out on so much. not anymore.

do the best you can now, knowing that everyday it is getting a little easier. one day you will suddenly realize, "hey, i couldn't do that last time" and it all snowballs from there.

good luck!