underactive thyroid - can you not just exercise more?

Options
124»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What?
    This is like saying to a depressed person 'why don't you smile more?'

It is. Which is why some behavioral therapies do help depression. Some of the time. For some people.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What?

It is. Which is why some behavioral therapies do help depression. Some of the time. For some people.

I was talking to the OP :P
    Actually I agree with you, trying to find the right mix of diet/excercise helps with a thyroid malfunction. But it doesn't help if your body lack the right ammount of hormones, that's why the right drugs therapy is so important. People spend years trying to figure out which therapy is the right one.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What?

Actually I agree with you, trying to find the right mix of diet/excercise helps with a thyroid malfunction. But it doesn't help if your body lack the right ammount of hormones, that's why the right drugs therapy is so important. People spend years trying to figure out which therapy is the right one.

I know. The room gets kinda loud :P ;)

I'm guessing the OP is trying to get their head around the idea of what It means and what might be or not be appropriate and has even apologized.

It certainly isn't an easy issue to resolve - I'm very "walking on eggshells" in these threads. My thyroid knowledge is more related to osteoporosis and elderly men - it is what drove me to medical research when my grandfather was sick ... A long time ago.

It's complex (like depression, and sometimes linked to it) and hormonal factors, medication and exercise have intricate dependencies. :flowerforyou:
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What?

I know. The room gets kinda loud :P ;)

I'm guessing the OP is trying to get their head around the idea of what It means and what might be or not be appropriate and has even apologized.

It certainly isn't an easy issue to resolve - I'm very "walking on eggshells" in these threads. My thyroid knowledge is more related to osteoporosis and elderly men - it is what drove me to medical research when my grandfather was sick ... A long time ago.

It's complex (like depression, and sometimes linked to it) and hormonal factors, medication and exercise have intricate dependencies. :flowerforyou:

I know. My doctor says that my depression could be linked to my vit. D deficiency and even if my analys show normal values, he still thinks my thyroid is not working.

The things we learn when searching for info for a loved one... I know more about Alzheimer's disease than about dieting
    :happy:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In.

(I just learned on another thread that this condition can be cured by raspberry ketones. True story. Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774237-green-coffee-beans-and-raspberry-ketone?page=2 )
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism