Help! i don't want loose skin!!

Options
I have just started trying to loose weight. I know that to minimize ending up with loose skin, I will need to loose slowly and weight train. My problem is that I can't go to the gym yet as I have an infant at home whom I am exclusively breastfeeding. At this point she is still so attached to me that it is a nightmare if I leave her even for an hour. I do have a gym membership, but I therefore will not be able to consistently use it for a couple of months until my little one is a tad older, say another 2 months.

So, my question is...can I achieve this goal by doing body resistance/plyometric workouts for now? I am on day 3 level 2 today, of Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. I am beginning to see definition in my arms and feel the muscles there. I'm worried about my lower belly. For those who are not familiar with the workouts...there are a lot of lunges, planks, squats, pushups, situps...and I use 5 lb weights which leave my arms burning...this surprises me as I used to use more than 10 times more in weights at the gym. Is this sufficient workout to minimize sagging skin, and are there suggestions of what else I can do @ home in the next 2 months? I have seen before and after pics with minimal to no sagging skin, and I just want to be able to post similar pics in a year. I also have the Insanity Dvd, which I intend to use in the future.

Just for reference, I'm 5'4" , 205 lbs. I gained about 20-22 lbs with the pregnancy and have yet to lose 7 of that. I was following MFP's calories recommendations and eating back my exercise calories and lost a lb. In 2 weeks. I calculated my TDEE yesterday and adjusted my MFP settings appropriately. I'm not sure how to factor in breastfeeding into my calories. My new goal is 1800, up from 1530. Please advise!

ETA: I intend to incorporate Zumba on my wii twice a week. We also have an awesome jogging stroller and a trail right behind my house. For now I can only take the baby on walks as she is still too young to jog with in this stroller. Also, in case I didn't make it clear, i want to lose more than just 7 lbs. LOL. My first long term goal is to get down to 160 lbs., but definitely not stopping there. I will set a new goal based on my BF% and dress size at that point.

Replies

• CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump :(
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do what you're looking for with diet and simple body weight exercises at home. The real point is the diet. Get that in order (cut out processed foods, eat lots of veggies, fruits, and lean meats, etc.) and you could lose most of what you're aiming for just sitting on the couch.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Here is a YouTube video of DivaSlimsDown telling what she did to lessen the loose skin.
    She lost 150+ lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HzIiF7YFgU
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    resistance training. Either bodyweight or heavy lifting.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    bump
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly. Add some resistance training. Keep hydrated.
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    LIFT. HEAVY.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    LIFT. HEAVY.

This.

All you really need is 45-50 minutes, three times a week. Any way you can fit that it? The sooner you begin, the better your success will be - and trust me, I know! I lost over 50 lbs before I started weight training and I am sorry I did not begin sooner. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 or new Rules of Lifting for Women (this is what I do, and I lost almost an inch on hips and belly in 4 weeks).
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    two more little tips - stay hydrated and use good cream on your skin every day while you are losing weight. Your skin the the largest organ in your body. While you are drinking to lose weight you are also drinking to keep your skin hydrated.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly and add resistance training to build muscle. Genetics and proper nutrition are the biggest factors in how well your skin tightens in response to reduced circumference.

I lift and eat healthy, but I feel like genetics is not on my side. I've read that it can take several years for your skin to completely tighten up and in some extreme cases tummy tucks may be required. I have been looking at a non surgical procedure called Venus Freeze that is supposed to stimulate tightening but going to wait to see more reviews on that and see if my belly tightens a bit more.

I'm a size 4 and have been at my goal weight +/-5 pounds for the last six months. Still dealing with the stretched stomach skin from 2 pregnancies (about 10 years ago).
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Take care of your skin as you lose weight at a reasonable steady pace. I'm nearly twice your age, started losing at about the same weight you are, and have had 2 kids. After two years of weight loss, with about 10-15 lbs to go, my loose skin is not too bad--mainly confined to my belly (the spot the remaining fat resides), where I can hide it with clothes. One suggestion I followed was to moisturize daily, especially the problem areas. You can also try "dry brushing", to help stimulate skin cell turnover and improve circulation (google it). You have relative youth on your side--best of luck to you!
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    I have no idea on the loose skin thing, but there is a way to manually add breastfeeding in that adds calories to your diary. You have to add it everyday.. A friend of mine has a 9 month old and gets an extra 400 calories aday from BF
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What is more important being healthy, or some possible loose skin?

if your skin is more important don't lose weight.

If your health is more important, then don't worry about the skin

That's what I was thinking. I;d rather have loose skin then fat. But I see the OP is aiming for the best of both worlds so Good luck!
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Re: breastfeeding, I calculated my tdee and add 300-400 cals in cardio daily, so it adjusts my macros. Some people add it as negative calories in their snacks, but it doesn't adjust your macros that way. Also, make sure you're drinking extra water to account for working out and breastfeeding.

My 10 month old is ebf, but she does fine at the play center at the gym, an hour a day 5 days a week. If that's an option, try it out! Other kids are a great distraction!
  • CactusF1ower
    Options

Obviously being healthy is more important. Is it wrong for me to want to try and minimize the amount of loose skin as I work on losing weight and getting healthier? Can I not try to have both?

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Obviously being healthy is more important. Is it wrong for me to want to try and minimize the amount of loose skin as I work on losing weight and getting healthier? Can I not try to have both?

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions!

You can try, of course! But many people have found that despite their best efforts, they still wind up with loose skin. Others have been lucky and not had that experience. It's impossible to tell whether you'll be one or the other.

I think the poster you're replying to is just saying to work hard, hope for the best, and not let the *possibility* of loose skin deter you from a healthier body and lifestyle.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There is a certain amount of genetics at play. People who scar easily (like me) tend to develop more stretch marks (yup), and see less "bounce back" in thier skin. Some people can have a squillion children or lose a school bus worth of weight without an extra wrinkle. Most people are somewhere inbetween.
  • carey1986
    carey1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you want to try and work on your tummy tone try Tracey Anderson's Post pregnancy work out... it really focuses on the tummy and building back muscles there... wish I found it sooner after having my baby!
  • CactusF1ower
    Options
    If you want to try and work on your tummy tone try Tracey Anderson's Post pregnancy work out... it really focuses on the tummy and building back muscles there... wish I found it sooner after having my baby!

Thanks. I'll look into it