Gluten Free?

Options
Anyone have any Gluten Free/Low Cal recipes, ideas, or snacks? Everything I find is too much work on a busy schedule. I love to cook but need a few easy fixes.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Gluten-Free-Angel-Food-Cake

This Angel Food Cake is amazing. I use it occasionally like a Ha wain sweet bread. It tastes good with fresh strawberries put on top. It's also a great base if you use it that way for a desert. I make a strawberry shortcake with creamy cheesecake filling for the holidays.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    To be really simple, just replace anything that was bread with rice - it's really quite easy! Have taco sauce + mix ontop of rice (it's actually commonly sold in restaurants in Japan) or your favourite beef patty ontop of rice with demi-glasse sauce, - so good! If you don't like rice, then try a different type. I personally absolutely hate long grain rice, but cannot get enough of fresh short grain - I'll walk past the rice cooker and grab a handful to munch on if I'm not careful...! You can also mix different types of rice together in the cooker, such as black/red/brown/white and even YELLOW! It's amazing what we have access to these days :)

For breakfast you can have your rice cooked fresh in the morning and have it with a poached egg on top. Have you tried cooking with quinoa at all? It requires a little preparation, but this can be done on the weekends so it's simply reheated in the microwave during the day.

I find making a stir fry with all the veggies I feel like + a fish fillet + fresh rice is probably one of my favourite meals :)
  • nicbutler
    Options
    Thanks!
  • nicbutler
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • smdiegelman
    smdiegelman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Rice with an egg on top sounds so good! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • JenumsC1979
    JenumsC1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    oh I've just posted http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-06421q.html to a request for stroganoff recipe, as I make this gluten free!

just check your Worcestershire sauce and stock cubes - i dont use brandy so dont know gluten content, et voila! total crowd pleaser!

I've got a pal who's gluten free celiac (however you spell it) and thus far I've done that, spag bol, chilli and she's made a carbonarra that she googled (not sure how healthy the last was but the first 3 are really low cal!)

Jen
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm gluten-free and feel free to look through my diary for meal ideas. My stuff is simple and quick to make.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm also guten free and i find it really easy. Alot of Mexican food is gluten free like tonight im making salsa chicken in the slow cooker all day then having it with taco shells because they are made from corn flour not wheat flour. I tend to stay away from the gluten free noodles breads etc etc as they are full of simple carbs and high in cals ( for example one cup on gluten free penne pasta is around 400 cals! and thats before you add anything to it) I make spag bowl and use zucchini noodles instead of pasta.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    corn thins are a great snack or lunch idea to, I top mine with cottage cheese shaved ham red onion and avo! or cream cheese and salmon
  • atomicwoman50
    Options
    Kimchi fried rice! I make my own KImchi, because I like it hot. I have my own chickens, so tthe egg part is covered.

Leftover Brown rice, cold is best - approx 1/2 cup per serving

Any veggies you want, like green onions. You could add some water chesnuts too. Whatever you have lying around.

Minced garlic about 1 clove

You can add some protien like shrimps or bacon if you're brave. Leftover chicken works too.

Napa Cabbage Kimchi, drained and chopped

2 Tblsp EVO divided

Wheat free soy sauce -(liquid aminos works great) to taste

1 Free range egg fried or poached.

Saute kimchi in a lightly greased large pan over medium heat for a few minutes.

When vegetables begin to look transparent, add ½ Tbsp of EVO and garlic, and soy sauce and saute for another 2-3 minutes.

Add shrimps or chicken if using and continue to saute until meat is cooked.

Turn heat off but keep pan on burner.

Add rice and a little more EVO, mixing to combine.

Top with fried or poached egg to serve.

Heaven!
  • BorderOrca
    Options
    I'm also GF. Check out this website: http://www.elanaspantry.com/
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm also guten free and i find it really easy. Alot of Mexican food is gluten free like tonight im making salsa chicken in the slow cooker all day then having it with taco shells because they are made from corn flour not wheat flour. I tend to stay away from the gluten free noodles breads etc etc as they are full of simple carbs and high in cals ( for example one cup on gluten free penne pasta is around 400 cals! and thats before you add anything to it) I make spag bowl and use zucchini noodles instead of pasta.

Could you post a recipe for zucchini noodles please? Sounds amazing!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    just slice Zucchini really thin long ways (so its a wide strip) then cut the strips again into little noodle like pieces! then blanch them! super easy and way lower in cals plus your adding a extra big of veg to your meal...obviously they aren't going to taste like pasta but they are better than nothing!
  • MoneySavingLisa
    Options
    http://moneysavinglisa.com/gluten-free-coconut-macaroons/

I am trying to eat gluten free for health reasons, and I am starting to add gluten free recipes on my blog on Fridays. The one above is the first from last Friday. Later today I will add another dessert like recipe. I am going to update the post to add nutrition information since I am starting to plug the recipes into MFP.