Started working out.. Weight loss has stalled?

Options
Hi, all! I have been using MFP for about a month and started working out about 3 weeks ago. The first week
I was on MFP and down to 1200 cal. I lost 5 lbs. Now, though I have been exercising 4 days a week and NO weight loss.
Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Thanks!!!

Replies

• rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We lack a lot of information, such as how much do you weigh already, how tall are you, and what are you eating (quality, not quantity.) However, here's something I have noticed.

I don't lose much when I have been physically a lot more active than normal. Several days in a row of working out, very long work-outs, or starting up again after a break: Often I gain rather than lose. This is because my body retains water, due to the irritation in newly-used muscles. The weight-loss comes after a while, either when the activity level has become normal, or I for some reason have two-three days of rest. Then I can suddenly lose several pounds in one go.

Or rather: I could. I am now at a normal BMI, and shouldn't really lose much more. That makes it a LOT harder to lose weight, and I suspect I have reached my potential. This is why your weight matters: How close are you to a normal BMI? It may be that even if you would like to lose another size in clothes, your body thinks you are just fine the way you are. (And you look great in your picture. :))
  • shariannamarie
    Options
    Thanks!;) That was really helpful.. I need to give myself more time, I know too. I am 5'8 and 167. I would like to lose 20 lbs.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If you were at 1200 without exercise, now that you are exercising, you need to be eating your calories that you've earned from it. MFP has already factored in your deficit, so it's safe to eat more. Your body needs it.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

This^

Sounds like you are not eating enough.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks!;) That was really helpful.. I need to give myself more time, I know too. I am 5'8 and 167. I would like to lose 20 lbs.

You are approximately where I was half a year ago ;-)

Don't panic, getting this right can take quite some time! Look at the quality of what you are eating, and schedule days to rest. Try out some of the "eat to lose" advice (I can't do that, we are not all made equal), and keep exercizing, too. Also, make sure to use a measuring tape. You may be swapping fat for muscle, and as muscles are denser, you may be losing inches, but not pounds.

Good luck!
  • Mr_Steve_V
    Options
    On top of maybe eating more, if your working out includes building some muscle, you may not be losing any weight because you are replacing fat weight with muscle weight. So while you might not be losing weight, you will be losing inches. Eventually you will start losing weight again.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Also, for how long have you been dieting? If for several months, you may need to go to maintenance calories for a few weeks to reset your metabolism. I know I did that and set mine to losing a 1/2 pound a week and have finally started dropping again. You shouldn't worry - take measurements and you'll see a difference.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I have been using MFP for about a month and started working out about 3 weeks ago. The first week
    I was on MFP and down to 1200 cal. I lost 5 lbs. Now, though I have been exercising 4 days a week and NO weight loss.
    Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Thanks!!!

Yeah, it's normal. Exercise related water retention will cause your weight to fluctuate, especially if there's been a recent change in your routine. I find that I see the least amount of noise in the data when I schedule my "for the record" weigh-in for the morning after my rest day, which is preceded by a cardio day, not strength training.
  • shariannamarie
    Options
    **Update: I just got home from the gym and a VERY helpful trainer explained a few things
    And measured my body fat and lean muscle, etc.. And he found that I have lost 2% body fat and gained 5%
    Lean Muscle! I hope this is an encouragement to those in the same no weight loss progress made lately.
    :)
  • shariannamarie
    Options
    **Update: I just got home from the gym and a VERY helpful trainer explained a few things
    And measured my body fat and lean muscle, etc.. And he found that I have lost 2% body fat and gained 5%
    Lean Muscle! I hope this is an encouragement to those in the same no weight loss progress made lately.
  • Lauralei36
    Lauralei36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same, I lost 9lb in 6 weeks and as soon as I started the 30 day shred my weight loss stalled. I started measuring body fat and that number is still dropping.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Congrats! I've been doing a lot of strength training and lifting lately and though the scale has remained in the same two pound range, I am fitting into pants I couldn't wear two months ago and in six weeks, I lost an inch and a half from my waist and an inch from my hips. The scale doesn't always tell the full story of your progress :)