Not what the label says??

Options
So tonight for dinner I had some stouffers mac and cheese. The box said 12 oz and that 1 cup was a serving and there were approximately 2 servings. When I measured out my serving all but a few noodles fit into my measuring cup .WHAT GIVES? I measured out a cup so I know that my calories aren't outrageous but does that ever happen to you guys? Buy something thinking you are going to get more than a few servings and the box lied to you ! lol

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    hmmm, haven't ran across that yet but then again I dont measure...if there are 2 servings then I just take half. :happy:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I have heard of this from others recently. It really makes it nearly impossible to count calories!!!

Also, I think it is criminal, because there is (IMHO) an implicit contract between the consumer and the producer. That contract says the consumer will provide a set monetary compensation in consideration for a given quantity of product, as delineated by the quantity listed on the package. When the quantity listed on the package is off by a couple of percent, the producer is in breach of contract.

By extension, if this is a systemic issue, which for many producers it appears to be, the amount of "theft" of consumers' money would move it from the neglegence range to the fraud range.
  • lcur7916
    lcur7916 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I am not familiar with the product you are referring too, but I'm wondering if they meant a serving was 1 cup "cooked"? Did you weigh it as well? Because 1 cup cooked may be equal to 6oz (uncooked) and take up a whole cup, but uncooked it may have weighed a lot less and taken up less room, as noodles usually expand and take on water when they cook...just a thought?? So far, I have only ever found a box to have more servings or a higher weight than the box said...because they could get themselves in a lot of trouble if customers are not getting what they paid for!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    not sure what to say about that....

but I do know that if they meant 12 oz by volume that's not two cups worth. That would only be about 1 1/2 cups worth (8 oz approx per cup) If they were talking 12 0z weight, I dont know what to say. Regardless, stuff like that is crap! Highly processed food isn't good for anyone. You would be better off just throwing it out and never looking back!
  • mromnek
    Options
    Regardless, stuff like that is crap! Highly processed food isn't good for anyone. You would be better off just throwing it out and never looking back!

As I was reading, I thought you were going to say "You would be better off just throwing it out and eating the box!" :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Regardless, stuff like that is crap! Highly processed food isn't good for anyone. You would be better off just throwing it out and never looking back!

As I was reading, I thought you were going to say "You would be better off just throwing it out and eating the box!" :laugh: :laugh:

Well, that would be one way of adding fiber to your diet!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    to be honest... it probably would be better to eat the box of ANY boxed processed food! LOL fiber!! love it!
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The box said it contained 12oz .. but the serving size said 1 cup, didn't specify if it was cooked or not cooked. Oh well , you live and you learn :wink:
  • mromnek
    Options
    I bet the 1 cup is cooked. 1 cup of uncooked pasta is HUGE when it is cooked.

Edit:
    Also, the weight on the box is the dry measurement weight... aka grams, ounces, pounds, etc...
    The other meaning of ounce (fl. oz) is a volume measurement... ounce, cup, liter, etc...

Just another reason why the English language and SAE measurement system is all screwed up. But I wouldn't trade either of them for the world!!!!