Weight gain and strength training.

Options
Hey everyone

This week I've added weights(5lbs to start out with), lunges, and crunches twice a week to my work out routine, and I noticed when I stepped on the scale this morning, that I've gone up 2lbs. I read somewhere that when starting out with strength and resistance training, its possible that your body will retain water at first, to repair muscle. Is this accurate? I've been doing really well with eating, and drinking lots of water so I'm not sure what's happening if not that. Sorry if this question seems dumb, I'm new at this and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When you start any new exercise program, your body can retain water and you may see the scale go up. Give it a month or so to even out. Also, honestly, ditch the 5 pound weights and go heavier. You can do it, and you will have great benefits from it.
  • BMB705
    BMB705 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How heavy would you suggest? I don't want to wreck myself, but if I would benefit from starting out with more weight, I'm all for it. And thanks, I'm glad its normal. I'm seriously considering ditching the sale all together, because it seems all it does is cause unneeded frustration.