Favorite non-nut based-butters/protein bars?

Options
weese17
weese17 Posts: 236 Member
My son is allergic to all nuts, as well as peanuts, and since I'm breastfeeding, I can't eat them either. (I've tried - even the littlest bit of pecan in my diet is enough to make him break out in horrible eczema.) Anybody have favorites for soy nut butters and/ or non-nut based protein bars? What I've tried --

-- I.M. Soy Healthy brand of soy nut butter. I don't really like it, because it's too sweet and has added oil. However, it's the only brand my local grocery stores carry.
-- Sunflower butter -- blech. Just blech.

Anybody tried Wowbutter? Amazon seemed to give good reviews.

As far as protein bars go, I've tried the Pure Protein varieties, but they aren't very good. My preferences tend to run to the real-food based bars, but sadly, they seem to all include nuts. I don't eat protein bars often, but they're good to have in a pinch.

Thanks!

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    This will need some tweaking, and for a few extra grams of protein, I'd cook up 3 tbsp. of quinoa and use those instead of dry quick oats. Also, she's trying to make this dairy free, but you could use whichever protein powder you have on hand. I haven't tried this, myself. Just got curious about nut free protein bar recipes after I read your topic.

http://thefitcookie.com/2012/03/05/fudgy-chocolate-protein-bars/
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Zone perfect Graham cracker flavor bars are good...I don't think they have nuts...
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My sister used peabutter when her kids weren't allowed to have nuts. It's supposed to be a reasonable substitute but I haven't tried it, myself. It has added oil and icing sugar...

What about buying roasted soy nuts and grinding it up in your food processor?
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys! Metaphoria, I've never heard of peabutter before! Will have to check it out.
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of post on places like pinterest about making your own protein bars. I have been meaning to try them out., seems like it would be so much cheap, and you would know exactly what was in it! I have some friends that use peabutter and really like it, so I think it would be worth trying!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've had sunflower seed butter before. I still prefer peanut butter, but it's not bad. The only place I've ever seen it for purchase was at the bulk store.

Edit: you might have better luck finding it in other types of stores if you are in a larger city or the USA. We always seem to have trouble finding the really unique items in Eastern Canada. :P