I have been working really hard and not seeing results

Options

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You need to log. You may be eating too much and no know it. You can't eyeball anything if you are trying to lose weight and NOT succeeding. I wonder how many calories a day you are trying to eat? Working out doesn't solve all of the problems. It's healthy for your body but it is not the key to weightloss. Calories is, Exercising is just damn good for your body and 10% helpful. Calories is where it matters. Congrats on the 7 lbs!!

Good Luck!
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Or should I say no thanks, I really thought that I might get some helpful suggestions on here, not a bunch of criticism. I have been working hard I go to the gym as much as possible with three kids. I just joined the gym 2 months ago. I just thought that since I have been working out 3 times more that I ever have before that I would see results. I do not just east a bunch of crap. I try to eat as healthy as possible.

I don't think she was criticizing you, just responding to what you wrote in your original post... :)

I know what it's like to try to lose weight with a family to take care of... you always come last and although that's how us mommy's work, it doesn't have to be that way. Log your food, be accountable to yourself, ask for help from loved ones with the kids and take an hour a day for yourself.

You deserve it!!! Hugs and best of luck to you!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You are a busy busy woman with all those kids. You do NOT have to bust your guts at the gym too to lose weight! All that matters is that you burn more than you eat so log your food properly by weighing and measuring it and take the kids for a walk around the blocks/to the beach/anywhere as fast and as often as you have the time for.

If you need to talk PM me any time. DarrelBirkett sounds lovely too. Add him.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I think the final vote is "Log your food". I didn't see anyone being mean either.

What did you want to hear? "You're right, you're wasting your time, just give up, it's not worth the fight because you are eating "healthy" and working out 3 times a week isn't doing anything"

Some people took a lot of time to respond to your post and you say "No thanks.".
  • ashley22238
    ashley22238 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just think -- if you hadn't given up, you'd be 7 lbs lighter. This isn't supposed to be a "diet" in your life. You're supposed to have a lifestyle change. If you "give up" and then just go back to eating crap, then it wasn't successful. I suggest logging and working out more. I have been logging and working out for over a month now and have barely lost anything. I log everything and track workouts on my Fitbit and bust my *kitten*.

Real talk: if you haven't been logging, have only been working out 3 times a week, and you've "given up," you are not working hard. Change your mentality and start ACTUALLY working hard.

I just want to say that I am working hard, and ACTUALLY if this is a nice post than maybe I am wrong. I kind of found it offensive. My Bad. I really do appreciate the helpful advice.
  • ashley22238
    Options
    Or should I say no thanks, I really thought that I might get some helpful suggestions on here, not a bunch of criticism. I have been working hard I go to the gym as much as possible with three kids. I just joined the gym 2 months ago. I just thought that since I have been working out 3 times more that I ever have before that I would see results. I do not just east a bunch of crap. I try to eat as healthy as possible.

Heya.

Ok, deep breath aaaand relax ;)

Dont worry, firstly. sounds to me like you're half way to being on track. Now lets get the other half sorted.

First - Food. Probably the most important thing. Forget diets, they dont work. Let me explain. I've "dieted" or had periods of "being healthy" for years but only by actually changing the way I approach food did I have success. 20 years too late maybe but at least Im there now. Sorry if a lot of this you know but here you go anyway :

- People who dont log typically eat too many carbs. Even when "being good". Thats speaking from experience. I used to track for one week of the month and by the 3rd week I was eating 70% carbs which is way too much.
    - Fat is good. Good fats at least. nuts, seeds, avocado, fish are all good fat.
    - Fat is bad. Yeah, not all fat is good. Biscuits, cake, hydrogenated fats, saturated fats. All things generally found in processed foods.
    - Protein is needed. Not sure if you are veggie. If so, consider lentils, chickpeas, quinoa etc. If not, then Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Turkey. Ideally fresh, grilled.
    - Carbs. Here is the biggy. Try and cut right down on bread, pasta, breakfast cereals. Basically starchy carbs. Sugars and processed carbs try to get rid of. I still have the odd choc bar or treat. But its odd, once a week maybe and not daily like I was. I dont eat breakfast cereal anymore and seldom have bread.
    - Carbs - fibrous. Veg, salad are excellent sources of vitamins etc Some fruit but not too much. I have 1-2 bits of fruit per day but much more veg.
    - Drinks. Take milk in your tea/coffee? Thats calories in every drink. I have it black these days and while I had to get used to it now prefer it.

So, an example of meals for me is a nice big pile of chicken / tuna with salad or a big portion of broccoli/asparagus. I dont have a starchy carb anymore. I still have home made chilli but rather than on rice I have on a bed of kale/spinach. you get the idea.

Finally log it and log it ALL. Sure it gets boring but after a while its second nature (imo). I also find it interesting so as I go I can see whats what.

Now, kids. I understand. I have two. The hardest bit is feeding them and you different and but more so picking off their plates as feeding them ;)

Water - Drink plenty. Aim for 2L per day for now.

Exercise - do what you can. Its hard when having kids to look after but if you are managing 3 days a week then make them count. Work hard and maybe harder in those sessions. Mix cardio and weights as you have been but make every rep and every step count.

So how much should you eat?

http://www-users.med.cornell.edu/~spon/picu/calc/beecalc.htm

Have a look. That tells you what you should eat "if you do nothing and sit still"

Then take away 20%.

Thats how much to eat to start losing weight at a sensible rate "if you sit doing nothing"

On days you go to the gym, eat and extra 300 cals maybe "if you have worked hard for around 45mins"

Or if you know what you burned then replace that so long as your target is the 20% reduction.

Im cautious on what MFP says Im burning in cals, but I find 100-150 cals per 15min is a decent guideline for me personally.

All I can think of for now, feel free to ask anything.

Thanks so much I really appreciate the advice :-)
  • vcancel
    Options
    Just think -- if you hadn't given up, you'd be 7 lbs lighter. This isn't supposed to be a "diet" in your life. You're supposed to have a lifestyle change. If you "give up" and then just go back to eating crap, then it wasn't successful. I suggest logging and working out more. I have been logging and working out for over a month now and have barely lost anything. I log everything and track workouts on my Fitbit and bust my *kitten*.

Real talk: if you haven't been logging, have only been working out 3 times a week, and you've "given up," you are not working hard. Change your mentality and start ACTUALLY working hard.

I just want to say that I am working hard, and ACTUALLY if this is a nice post than maybe I am wrong. I kind of found it offensive. My Bad. I really do appreciate the helpful advice.

I think you found it offensive because she was just being honest. It's soooooo hard to hear the truth about ourselves sometimes and although I believe that many people abuse these boards because they are more or less anonymous, I don't think that this was done in this case.

It's cool... move on. Stop focusing on "how" things were said, just on what was said. We are all here with you. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    -
  • ashley22238
    Options

I think you found it offensive because she was just being honest. It's soooooo hard to hear the truth about ourselves sometimes and although I believe that many people abuse these boards because they are more or less anonymous, I don't think that this was done in this case.

It's cool... move on. Stop focusing on "how" things were said, just on what was said. We are all here with you. :)

You are totally right. I just took it as I wasn't working hard, and I myself know that I am. I will just have to learn to take things in a different light. I really wasn't looking for a wake up type of response, but I guess it might have been just what I needed. I will be trying to log everything and use all the advice here and see what happens. Thanks for the help :-)
  • vcancel
    Options
    You go girl! :flowerforyou:

Beautiful baby btw... :)
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It is time consuming if you don't plan your meals.
    I usually do my things in the morning and log my breakfast with my entire day, it's less then 10 minutes and I have all set up.
    Try to do that, know what are you gonna cook/eat one day before and everything will be fine.

This is usually what I do and leave some room for snacks. Then log my snacks in at the end of the day. By snacks I mean an apple or air popped popcorn ( I love popcorn :embarassed: ).

It doesn't have to be time consuming. If you have 10 mins to surf the internet you have 10 mins to log your food. :wink:
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Heya.

Ok, deep breath aaaand relax ;)

Dont worry, firstly. sounds to me like you're half way to being on track. Now lets get the other half sorted.

First - Food. Probably the most important thing. Forget diets, they dont work. Let me explain. I've "dieted" or had periods of "being healthy" for years but only by actually changing the way I approach food did I have success. 20 years too late maybe but at least Im there now. Sorry if a lot of this you know but here you go anyway :

- People who dont log typically eat too many carbs. Even when "being good". Thats speaking from experience. I used to track for one week of the month and by the 3rd week I was eating 70% carbs which is way too much.
    - Fat is good. Good fats at least. nuts, seeds, avocado, fish are all good fat.
    - Fat is bad. Yeah, not all fat is good. Biscuits, cake, hydrogenated fats, saturated fats. All things generally found in processed foods.
    - Protein is needed. Not sure if you are veggie. If so, consider lentils, chickpeas, quinoa etc. If not, then Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Turkey. Ideally fresh, grilled.
    - Carbs. Here is the biggy. Try and cut right down on bread, pasta, breakfast cereals. Basically starchy carbs. Sugars and processed carbs try to get rid of. I still have the odd choc bar or treat. But its odd, once a week maybe and not daily like I was. I dont eat breakfast cereal anymore and seldom have bread.
    - Carbs - fibrous. Veg, salad are excellent sources of vitamins etc Some fruit but not too much. I have 1-2 bits of fruit per day but much more veg.
    - Drinks. Take milk in your tea/coffee? Thats calories in every drink. I have it black these days and while I had to get used to it now prefer it.

So, an example of meals for me is a nice big pile of chicken / tuna with salad or a big portion of broccoli/asparagus. I dont have a starchy carb anymore. I still have home made chilli but rather than on rice I have on a bed of kale/spinach. you get the idea.

Finally log it and log it ALL. Sure it gets boring but after a while its second nature (imo). I also find it interesting so as I go I can see whats what.

Now, kids. I understand. I have two. The hardest bit is feeding them and you different and but more so picking off their plates as feeding them ;)

Water - Drink plenty. Aim for 2L per day for now.

Exercise - do what you can. Its hard when having kids to look after but if you are managing 3 days a week then make them count. Work hard and maybe harder in those sessions. Mix cardio and weights as you have been but make every rep and every step count.

So how much should you eat?

http://www-users.med.cornell.edu/~spon/picu/calc/beecalc.htm

Have a look. That tells you what you should eat "if you do nothing and sit still"

Then take away 20%.

Thats how much to eat to start losing weight at a sensible rate "if you sit doing nothing"

On days you go to the gym, eat and extra 300 cals maybe "if you have worked hard for around 45mins"

Or if you know what you burned then replace that so long as your target is the 20% reduction.

Im cautious on what MFP says Im burning in cals, but I find 100-150 cals per 15min is a decent guideline for me personally.

All I can think of for now, feel free to ask anything.

I so needed to read this today - thank you!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I stop logging for a bit, when I start back up I'm sometimes surprised at how quickly things add up. Other times, I'm surprised by how little I was actually eating. Both can be bad. Also, look at your adtivity the rest of the week, you're working out less than half of the week -are you still eating the same amount on the days you don't work out? How many calories are you actually burning? Do you have a HRM? Wen I look at the calories burned on a machine, it is sometimes twice as high as what my HRM says. The difference between 400 and 800 calories burned is huge! If you're working out 3 times a week, it's half a pound difference!!!

Good luck and sorry to say that you will need to log food again-oh, and I agree. Weigh all food whenever possible! I find it kind of fun :)
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging ALL OF IT, you're only eating as healthy as you THINK you are.

I really, really wish people would get their bloodwork done PRE lifestyle change and then at a point where they feel like giving up. If you could see the magic that's going on inside your body, you wouldn't give up so quickly.

The weight lifting causes your body to produce HGH, which in fact, turns the hands back on time. This spike in HGH helps women with everything from skin issues (wrinkles to acne) to bone health.

The cardio is improving your HDL Cholesterol (the one you want to be high) and lowering your LDL (bad cholesterol), triglycerides, blood sugar.

The foods you choose can decrease body fat, blood pressure, and risks of cancer, heart disease, and stroke.

So for crying out loud- throw that f%$6ing scale out the window and do what you're supposed to do.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options

You don't have to like my advice. I don't care if you think you're working hard. You are not working "hard" at the limit you are at. You said you aren't logging -- that means you're not working hard in my opinion. You ACTUALLY said you are working "really hard" when in reality you're working at a NORMAL level. "I've been working out normally and I'm not seeing results" isn't as shocking and puts the onus on something other than you.

Again, I think working hard would be actually logging. Working out when you can is a positive thing. Logging isn't that difficult so you can't be working "really hard" if you aren't even doing that one step. I'm sorry this isn't a hugbox comment, but I wish you well and I think logging will help you kick butt instead of whiff air.
  • RustyDogma
    RustyDogma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take measurements regularly as well. I often gain a little muscle, lose a little weight, and the scale shows little difference. Then I'll find I dropped a couple inches from my waist and/or thighs. The scale doesn't tell the whole story.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Clean eating is important.

For weight loss its not important to eat clean. From a macro/micro nutrient level its important. But you can lose regardless of the type of foods you eat. But sodium can mask weight loss with water weight. But you can counteract it with drinking water and eating foods high in potassium and magnesium.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Be sure to take measurements regularly as well. I often gain a little muscle, lose a little weight, and the scale shows little difference. Then I'll find I dropped a couple inches from my waist and/or thighs. The scale doesn't tell the whole story.

It is virtually impossible to continuously gain a little muscle and then lose a little fat. Unless you are doing some significant alterations in your diet plan and have a progressive lifting program. Even at best, women who eat a surplus of calories and have a progressive weight training program only have the ability to gain about 1/2 lb per week. The more likely scenario is water retention some weeks and then it releases. But its virtually impossible to quickly jump from a catabolic to an anabolic state and then back.
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "Helloitsdan" roadmap post is great...read it....it's on MFP message boards......It works.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    it's a shame that you haven't learned throughout your days how to take criticism - that's a pretty important part of life... the worst part is that they are all being very nice and supportive. don't ask for help if you don't want honest answers

with that said, "abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym" - you can go to the gym all you want, but if you are eating more calories than your body is burning in the day, you will not lose weight
    [/quote]

^^^This^^^
    What are you looking for? There are no special snowflakes here. You are not the only one with kids, work each day, find time to work out and eat right. You have to fight for it if you truly want it.