Is a 36 hour fast a good idea for a chronic binger?

Options
I always struggle with knowing what to do after a binge. Yesterday was a relatively small binge compared to what I normally can squeeze in, but I feel so discouraged by the past week that I don't even want to eat until tomorrow morning. I just really mentally and physically could use a break from food. Not only this, but I have done them in the past and have been very satisfied with the outcomes. I know that people on this site seem hesitant about fasting but there is a lot of evidence pointing out that it is completely natural and healthy to fast and to want to fast. I just need something that can take me out of my binging rut. Before yesterday I hadn't binged in two weeks and was feeling pretty good about myself. :( I'm so sad. I am forever haunted by crazy binge sneak attacks! What do you think about a 36 hour fast?

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't make you binge its fine. Why not do a 24 hour fast? Stop eating at 6 pm and then start 24 hours later. That way your still eating everyday. That's what I do. I'm fasting today today so it's all good
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I would say no. You'd be substituting one extreme behavior for another when it sounds as if you need to learn moderation.

IF can help with mindless eating, but I'd try one of the forms in which you eat every day and I'd ease into it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with knowing what to do after a binge. Yesterday was a relatively small binge compared to what I normally can squeeze in, but I feel so discouraged by the past week that I don't even want to eat until tomorrow morning. I just really mentally and physically could use a break from food. Not only this, but I have done them in the past and have been very satisfied with the outcomes. I know that people on this site seem hesitant about fasting but there is a lot of evidence pointing out that it is completely natural and healthy to fast and to want to fast. I just need something that can take me out of my binging rut. Before yesterday I hadn't binged in two weeks and was feeling pretty good about myself. :( I'm so sad. I am forever haunted by crazy binge sneak attacks! What do you think about a 36 hour fast?

I am not hesitant about fasting; I have been doing some form of Intermittent Fasting on and off for several months. But we aren't binge eaters and we fast for health, not to make up for out-of-control eating. Do not use IF as a stick with which to beat yourself.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As a binger, I'd say no as it certainly would set me up for a binge. I've done the semi fasts - of a fruit fast for 3 days. Only once was I able to come out of it without a binge. I don't think fasts are good for those that are already prone to binging.

I would more or less look into why you binge to begin with. Are you getting enough food or nutrients? Or are your binges evening those out? No need to answer but it's something I needed to do for myself. I always thought it was mostly emotional until I saw the things I was leaning towards were providing me iron. I found that I get too low once I started to donate blood and was getting deferred for that reason. I came on to this site so I could track my iron levels. There was also the too low of calories plan that the binges brought me up to the needed levels. Once I was able to get myself stable on both of those levels. I'm finding myself not binging. Or I haven't in a month roughly so we'll see how it goes. But wanted to share in case there's something you could look at for yourself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No expert, but I would say no. You'd be substituting one extreme behavior for another when it sounds as if you need to learn moderation.

IF can help with mindless eating, but I'd try one of the forms in which you eat every day and I'd ease into it.

^^^^ I agree with this.

the worst thing you can do after a binge is fast. All that does is get you in a very unhealthy cycle of two extreme behaviours

There is a survival response in humans, in response to too few calories, whereby you want to eat everything you can get their hands on.... in our evolutionary ancestors, this allowed them to survive food shortages. We have inherited this survival response. It is a normal physiological response to eating too few calories. Whether the original binge was caused by undereating, or if it's part of a psychological problem (e.g. emotional eating) - the last thing you want to do is deprive yourself of calories and trigger that survival response.

Eat a normal amount of food. Look up the "in place of a road map" thread to see how much you should be eating, and eat no less than that amount each day. Also ensure you're getting enough protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, fruit and vegetables - because undereating on one nutrient can result in survival response binge eating even if you're getting enough calories overall. This will go a long way to help prevent binges in the future. If you are still binge eating in spite of eating the right amount of calories and a healthy diet that includes all nutrients, then seek counselling,as it's most likely a psychological issue that would need a psychological approach (and keep up the healthy eating in any case, as if you have a problem with psychologically induced bingeing, you will make it 100x worse if you add in normal physiological survival response bingeing into the mix).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

^^^^ I agree with this.

the worst thing you can do after a binge is fast. All that does is get you in a very unhealthy cycle of two extreme behaviours

There is a survival response in humans, in response to too few calories, whereby you want to eat everything you can get their hands on.... in our evolutionary ancestors, this allowed them to survive food shortages. We have inherited this survival response. It is a normal physiological response to eating too few calories. Whether the original binge was caused by undereating, or if it's part of a psychological problem (e.g. emotional eating) - the last thing you want to do is deprive yourself of calories and trigger that survival response.

Eat a normal amount of food. Look up the "in place of a road map" thread to see how much you should be eating, and eat no less than that amount each day. Also ensure you're getting enough protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, fruit and vegetables - because undereating on one nutrient can result in survival response binge eating even if you're getting enough calories overall. This will go a long way to help prevent binges in the future. If you are still binge eating in spite of eating the right amount of calories and a healthy diet that includes all nutrients, then seek counselling,as it's most likely a psychological issue that would need a psychological approach (and keep up the healthy eating in any case, as if you have a problem with psychologically induced bingeing, you will make it 100x worse if you add in normal physiological survival response bingeing into the mix).

I agree. It sounds like setting yourself up for a very negative cycle.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's a horrible idea.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think that fasting after a binge will just reinforce your unhealthy relationship with food. Counselling might help.
  • TheLizBerry
    Options
    I too am a chronic binger. It has gotten so much better from eating more often. I eat 5 times a day, sometimes 6. I focus on adding in vegetables and fruits, rather than focusing on eliminating anything in the beginning. The times I binge now are hormonal, stress, or even tired. I am learning to take actions that aren't eating related. It is a process. Binging than starving the body is an extreme measure. Love yourself, forgive yourself for over eating and make today a new day. You are in a process, you will not have perfect eating. You said your binge wasn't as big as a previous one, that is the progress, you are getting better!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

^^^^ I agree with this.

This.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Only if the chronic binger lives in OppositeWorld
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^^^^ I agree with this.

Also agree.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    in my experience no.
    doing things like that made me develop an unhealthy relationship with food. even more so than before.
    food is nourishment. you need to learn to look at it that way. there are other emotions tied to your eating and personally i don't think they are resolvable without help. Treatment saved me life c: if you do **** up, start the next day fresh. Chances are if you fast you will just get unbelievably hungry and have a huge binge. If you don't, you will become infatuated with your ability not to binge and get into 'fasting' more and more often or anorexia. again, these are just my experiences- what happened to me. just wake up, and start fresh. eat something healthy and eat more often. eat every hour, a small healthy homemade meal. if you are determined to do this, and believe in yourself, make it happen one way or another. success is the other option, failures not. Learning a long the way should NOT be thought of as a failure or again, you are developing unhealthy feelings between you and food and your self worth.

use any spare time to do research if getting help isnt an option for you. Look up TDE and BMR. Make POSITIVE you are eating enough calories. I burn about 1600 calories a day just doing what I do. If i only eat 1200 or less calories that day that would be a net of -400. there is no energy and maybe your body is trying to tell you that with an unbelievable hunger. I feel so much better and actually lost weight quickly by upping my calories closer to 1800 ish and not counting exact calories. I dont count exact one because it would be to much for me, I would get to obsessed. You need to find what will work for you and tell yourself that it WILL work no matter how many bumps there are along the rode.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Eat a more consistent amount of calories rather than relying on one extreme to the other - that is merely continuing the cycle.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No! And this is coming from someone who has struggled with food issues most of their life. Most likely fasting is going to cause you to binge, it's part of the cycle. You need to figure out why you're binging in the first place. Are you not eating enough on a regular basis, and then binging when you lose will power? Are you restricting whole food groups or certain foods, and then binging instead of eating everything in moderation? Or is it an emotional issue? It's a lot easier to fix if you know where it's coming from, but fasting is NOT an answer to your problem.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Spend your energy finding food that fits your macros that offers you at least some emotional benefit. There are many puddings, whipped toppings, that are relatively low calorie. It's a struggle for me everyday. This morning I wanted nothing more than to go to honey dew and buy a couple of enormous vanilla creme doughnuts that I could then wash down with a large mocha madness coffee. Instead I had 1 tbsp of peanut butter and a 8oz of milk. It hit the spot pretty well.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Again, not an expert, but I think you answered your own question with the title of this post. I would look at why you are binging, and try to solve that issue instead.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not a good idea. Sounds like the perfect setup for your next binge. Just eat normal. No weird fasts required.