Facts on 100-Calorie Snack Packs

Options
Convenience foods and snacking go hand in hand. Unfortunately, many of these convenient snacks also go straight to our waistlines. When "snack packs" appeared on the market just a few years ago, dieters rejoiced! Now, they could easily count calories and enjoy their favorite snacks at the same time. In fact, the 100-calorie snack packs proved to be so popular that sales have skyrocketed to almost $200 million in under three years. But how healthy are these snacks and should we even be eating them at all? Do good things really come in small packages? Let's break down the snack pack facts.
Automatic Portion Control
Some dieticians and behavior experts believe these small 100-calorie packages are ideal for foods that we should only enjoy in limited amounts anyway, such as chips, cookies and chocolate bars. Numerous studies have shown that when a food container is larger, people will eat more. In fact, they're more likely to eat until they reach the bottom of a box or bag, without even realizing how much they’ve eaten until all the food is gone. When portions sizes are smaller, it can help you eat less. The built-in portion control also helps curb mindless overeating, but this theory works only when you limit yourself to one package. If you consume more than that, the benefits are lost.
Hunger Satisfaction
While the snack packs are winners for portion control and short-term satisfaction, they typically lack hunger-controlling nutrients (fiber, protein and healthy fats). This means that they won’t control your hunger for long and may lead to further snacking and higher calorie consumption over the course of the day. A handful of nuts or a piece of fruit could stave off the munchies for around the same number of calories while also providing key nutrients like fiber or healthy fats.

And despite the fact that the labels on these snack packs claim "0 grams of trans fats," many still contain hydrogenated oil—the prime source of trans fats. Legally, manufacturers can label products as trans-fat-free if they contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving.
The Price of Convenience
While there are plenty of 100-calorie choices on the market, from chips to cookies and crackers to pudding, you'll pay a higher price for these conveniently packaged snacks. Snack pack manufacturers charge as much as three or four times the price of conventional packaged foods. For example, a box of six 100-calorie packs of chips weighs only 95 total grams but costs around $3.00. That's about the same price as a full-sized bag of chips, which contains three times as much food. More single-use packaging also means more waste from an environmental standpoint.
SparkPeople Sponsors help keep the site free!
But judging by the explosive growth of the market, many dieters are choosing to pay more in order to avoid temptation. While you could simply divvy up a bag of chips or crackers into smaller portions yourself, many people don’t want to spend the time. If you can’t control your eating when faced with the full-sized version of your favorite snack, but you can eat just one smaller-portioned bag, a 100-calorie snack pack might be worth the extra money and help you reach your weight loss goals.

Smart Snack Alternatives
If you want a healthy, low-calorie snack but don’t want to pay the premium for convenience, here are some healthy snacks you can prepare yourself. You'll save money, reduce waste, and stay fuller longer with these 100- to 200-calorie ideas that you can portion out yourself.
Low-fat cottage cheese (4 oz): 80 calories
Raisins (50 or about 1 oz): 85 calories
Skim milk latte (8 oz): 85 calories
Air-popped popcorn (3 cups or 1 oz): 95 calories
Graham crackers (8 small rectangles): 100 calories
Thin pretzel sticks (48 sticks or 1 oz): 100 calories
Celery (5 pieces) with peanut butter (1 Tbsp): 100 calories
Unsweetened applesauce (1 cup): 100 calories
An apple (small) with low-fat cheese (2 oz): 150 calories
Baby carrots (10) with hummus (1/4 cup): 150 calories
Peanuts (a handful or 1 oz): 160 calories
Raw almonds (a handful or 1 oz): 165 calories
Low-fat yogurt (6 oz): 175 calories
Tortilla chips (12 chips or 1 oz) with salsa (1/2 cup): 175 calories
Whole wheat Ritz crackers (10 crackers or 1 oz) with peanut butter (1/2 Tbsp): 175 calories

Replies

• garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    Convenience foods and snacking go hand in hand. Unfortunately, many of these convenient snacks also go straight to our waistlines. When "snack packs" appeared on the market just a few years ago, dieters rejoiced! Now, they could easily count calories and enjoy their favorite snacks at the same time. In fact, the 100-calorie snack packs proved to be so popular that sales have skyrocketed to almost $200 million in under three years. But how healthy are these snacks and should we even be eating them at all? Do good things really come in small packages? Let's break down the snack pack facts.
    Automatic Portion Control
    Some dieticians and behavior experts believe these small 100-calorie packages are ideal for foods that we should only enjoy in limited amounts anyway, such as chips, cookies and chocolate bars. Numerous studies have shown that when a food container is larger, people will eat more. In fact, they're more likely to eat until they reach the bottom of a box or bag, without even realizing how much they’ve eaten until all the food is gone. When portions sizes are smaller, it can help you eat less. The built-in portion control also helps curb mindless overeating, but this theory works only when you limit yourself to one package. If you consume more than that, the benefits are lost.
    Hunger Satisfaction
    While the snack packs are winners for portion control and short-term satisfaction, they typically lack hunger-controlling nutrients (fiber, protein and healthy fats). This means that they won’t control your hunger for long and may lead to further snacking and higher calorie consumption over the course of the day. A handful of nuts or a piece of fruit could stave off the munchies for around the same number of calories while also providing key nutrients like fiber or healthy fats.

And despite the fact that the labels on these snack packs claim "0 grams of trans fats," many still contain hydrogenated oil—the prime source of trans fats. Legally, manufacturers can label products as trans-fat-free if they contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving.
    The Price of Convenience
    While there are plenty of 100-calorie choices on the market, from chips to cookies and crackers to pudding, you'll pay a higher price for these conveniently packaged snacks. Snack pack manufacturers charge as much as three or four times the price of conventional packaged foods. For example, a box of six 100-calorie packs of chips weighs only 95 total grams but costs around $3.00. That's about the same price as a full-sized bag of chips, which contains three times as much food. More single-use packaging also means more waste from an environmental standpoint.
    SparkPeople Sponsors help keep the site free!
    But judging by the explosive growth of the market, many dieters are choosing to pay more in order to avoid temptation. While you could simply divvy up a bag of chips or crackers into smaller portions yourself, many people don’t want to spend the time. If you can’t control your eating when faced with the full-sized version of your favorite snack, but you can eat just one smaller-portioned bag, a 100-calorie snack pack might be worth the extra money and help you reach your weight loss goals.

Smart Snack Alternatives
    If you want a healthy, low-calorie snack but don’t want to pay the premium for convenience, here are some healthy snacks you can prepare yourself. You'll save money, reduce waste, and stay fuller longer with these 100- to 200-calorie ideas that you can portion out yourself.
    Low-fat cottage cheese (4 oz): 80 calories
    Raisins (50 or about 1 oz): 85 calories
    Skim milk latte (8 oz): 85 calories
    Air-popped popcorn (3 cups or 1 oz): 95 calories
    Graham crackers (8 small rectangles): 100 calories
    Thin pretzel sticks (48 sticks or 1 oz): 100 calories
    Celery (5 pieces) with peanut butter (1 Tbsp): 100 calories
    Unsweetened applesauce (1 cup): 100 calories
    An apple (small) with low-fat cheese (2 oz): 150 calories
    Baby carrots (10) with hummus (1/4 cup): 150 calories
    Peanuts (a handful or 1 oz): 160 calories
    Raw almonds (a handful or 1 oz): 165 calories
    Low-fat yogurt (6 oz): 175 calories
    Tortilla chips (12 chips or 1 oz) with salsa (1/2 cup): 175 calories
    Whole wheat Ritz crackers (10 crackers or 1 oz) with peanut butter (1/2 Tbsp): 175 calories
  • lesliemassage
    Options
    That's a great article, but honestly, if I could pre-package 100 calorie snacks I wouldn't be as fat as I am right now. It's not about cost, it's the convenience, for me.

I can track 1 90 calorie bag of Quaker Mini Delights without a second thought and as an added bonus....they taste like chocolate chip cookies. It's a no-brainer.

When I take time to think about what I really want to eat, well, that's when I get in trouble.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Great article, and very eye-opening. Since the new year my one main goal has been to cut out those four deadly ingredients (based on the You: On a Diet principles) -- hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil, enriched white flour, sugar and corn syrup. Unfortunately I'm finding that so many of these 100-calorie snacks contain one, two, or all of those ingredients, and for me it was easier to cut them ALL out. Plus I got creeped out by how long the shelf life was and how many preservatives are in them.

And, I just couldn't get past the excessive packaging, and all the trash I was generating just living on my own.

I get it, it's an easy way to limit yourself, but to me they feel like another form of deprivation. 100 calories of a mediocre quality processed food versus having something truly full of flavor and quality. Speaking only for myself, when I want to splurge, it will be with a few squares of the highest quality dark chocolate and some raisins or three bites of an amazing homemade dessert or real whipped cream instead of cool whip.

Just my $.02.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Wow...good points there!! I eat one a day for my 3:00 snack, but I think I am going to cut them out....its just so EASY!!!:indifferent:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I portion control regular size bags of chips, crackers, cookies etc. into 100 cal snack packs (using zip lock bags)

I have found that my kids don't eat as much if I already have them in a handy bag.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I make my own "snack packs" too with healthier snacks, like trail mix. I reuse the baggies too to help reduce waste.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Here's my $0.02...

Most of my adult life I have been a clean, whole foods eater, rarely eating anything processed (well, the occassional treat here and there), nothing pre-packaged, chemical, etc. Sure, this lifestyle has left me with good energy and health, and clear skin, but after having babies, it's also left me with a BMI of 26 and 30lbs too many. :grumble:

Since starting this programme 3 weeks ago, I've lost 7lbs using some "treats" that I would have NEVER eaten in my former life... but that allow me to stay on track with calories, and are conventient so that I stick to the plan... diet coke, 5 calorie jellos, and Orville 100 cal popcorns. I still have the nuts and seeds, hummus and veg, and almond butter with apple (all of which are higher in calories - although also higher in nutrients), but I also use these low cal convenient foods as "tools" to help me succeed at this, and they can be phased out later. I just find them helpful, so I'm using them! :smile:

Shhh! Don't tell me naturopath... :wink:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have even started doing fruit and veggie bags for outings with a few 100 cal snack bags.

I don't eat them a lot, but on the go, they are great!!