HIIT

Options
It still seems to be true that 20 minute HIIT is the ideal timeframe for HIIT exercise. I have seen people do it longer, which is fine, but most stuff I've read in the past says that after 20 minutes, you get diminishing returns. Is this still true? I'm a VERY interested in 10 minute HIIT. Is there any benefit at all, or is it wasted effort? I'm not looking for opinions, just facts, studies, research, or what you're read recently on HIIT.

Thanks,
Jerry

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Is that right? God, I'd love for this to be true. I do a 35 minute HIIT routine once or twice a week and, while it's improved my performance in cardio activities more than anything else I've ever done, it's so damned hard I dread doing it, lol. I would LOVE a reason to do it for 20 minutes instead of 35.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I keep it to 20/21 minutes as I have also read that this is optimal. I think going over that is probably not harmful but maybe you can get like 97% of the benefits in the first 20 minutes.

The real question is what is the HR range that you should strive for, and secondly how low it should get before you spike it up again.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I do know I was curious to how many calories I'd burn doing Insanity Fast and Furious 20 mins, Cardio X P90X almost 45 mins. and Level 2 of Shed and Shred 54 mins. So one week I did them each and I burned more calories with the 20 min Fast and Furious than the other 2. I was surprised. I'm not sure if everyone would have the same results, but pushing it as hard as I could, those were my results.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    I heard reference to a study published on exercise duration and weight loss, as I remember the results showed that there is little difference in terms of weight loss from exercising more than 30 minutes. I did not read the study, and could not fine it quickly so I don't know the type of exercise used, the subjects used, or if other health markers were examined at all. I know I prefer about a 30 minute high intensity workout be it HIIT, Metabolic Resistance or Metabolic Conditioning modalities. If I am doing a standard weight workout, I tend to go longer in total time, but there is a lot of time spent in rest between sets.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I keep it to 20/21 minutes as I have also read that this is optimal. I think going over that is probably not harmful but maybe you can get like 97% of the benefits in the first 20 minutes.

The real question is what is the HR range that you should strive for, and secondly how low it should get before you spike it up again.

This is my understanding also. After 20 minutes, it's basically wasted effort.

As far as the HR range, that is a very good point. I guess I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I have a routine and I just follow it. Do you know how the HR thing should work in a HIIT routine?

I asked the HR range question in a thread and got zero responses.

Currently my up takes me to 90% of max HR, and low brings me down to 70%. But I am not sure whether I need to come down to 50%.

There are several variables at work here:

- I do 1 minute high and 1 minute low.
    - should one increase that 'low' time to bring HR further down?
    - As you get fitter, you will be able to revert back to a lower HR more quickly, so maybe if yo are really in good shape you can come down to a low HR even after 30 secs.
    - The key in my mind is to experience a very high HR, but ALSO to revert back to a low HR, for this to be beneficial.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can do a shorter session and get great results. Here is a link to an abstract of a study where participants did tabata drills (8 sets of 20 second intervals, 10 second rest, repeat 8x): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897392

"In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems."

More info here: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/tabata.htm
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do it differently.

I go high for 4 minutes, and then really low and progress up again.

An example on a treadmill is I start at 5 for 1 minute, then 5.5 then 6 then 6.5 then 7. Then down to 5.5, then up slowly minute by minute to 7.5 then down to 6 and so on. I do this for 20 minutes, or 4 rounds.

I do this same routine on a stationary bike or whatever. It's what I learned a few years ago and I like it. But the HR issue is a good one. I'll have to look into that.

That's not HIIT that's interval training. You should not be able to sustain the high interval for 4 minutes, usually only 30-60 seconds. I also thought that the reason HIIT is shorter is because its too hard to do for extended periods of time.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am not too sure about the 20 minute thing. I know everyone will have different responses and we can read about HIIT in 4 different places online and see 3 different views. All from "Professionals" I can only tell you what I do.
    My trainer (Not saying bc he said so means its gospel) has me set up with HIIT that is 32 minutes long, this is with a 3 minute warm up and cool down. Also, my Intervals increase each time up from 30 seconds up to 2 minutes then back down again. I have had huge losses and can def see a difference in stamina/endurance with regular Cardio since I've started this.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I am not too sure about the 20 minute thing. I know everyone will have different responses and we can read about HIIT in 4 different places online and see 3 different views. All from "Professionals" I can only tell you what I do.
    My trainer (Not saying bc he said so means its gospel) has me set up with HIIT that is 32 minutes long, this is with a 3 minute warm up and cool down. Also, my Intervals increase each time up from 30 seconds up to 2 minutes then back down again. I have had huge losses and can def see a difference in stamina/endurance with regular Cardio since I've started this.

To me this is even superior - taking the 'high' range up from 30 secs to 2 minutes.

But I am a HUGE proponent of doing HIIT based on HR. I do not think you can easily maintain 90-95% of max HR for 2 minutes straight unless you are in exquisite condition.

Found this link on the webs for HR ranges and based on this link, I think I am doing it right:

http://www.workoutnirvana.com/using-hiit-for-weight-loss-endurance-strength/

I think 20 minutes sounds good, and I think one needs HR monitor to have an effective HIIT. If you want to see how fit you are, it doesnt matter how quickly you can get up to 90% or 95% of max, but how quickly you get down to 50%. The supreme athletes would be able to bring the HR down in seconds. Like those cross country skiing and shooting guys at the olympics who have to shoot at object with zero heartbeat after dragging their *kitten* hundreds of yards.
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    I do it differently.

I go high for 4 minutes, and then really low and progress up again.

An example on a treadmill is I start at 5 for 1 minute, then 5.5 then 6 then 6.5 then 7. Then down to 5.5, then up slowly minute by minute to 7.5 then down to 6 and so on. I do this for 20 minutes, or 4 rounds.

I do this same routine on a stationary bike or whatever. It's what I learned a few years ago and I like it. But the HR issue is a good one. I'll have to look into that.

That's not HIIT that's interval training. You should not be able to sustain the high interval for 4 minutes, usually only 30-60 seconds. I also thought that the reason HIIT is shorter is because its too hard to do for extended periods of time.

Agreed. If you are truly HIIT-ting, there is NO WAY you can hold it up for more then 20 minutes max. Afterwards you will feel sick and exhausted for a few minutes, ready to puke. Luckilly this feeling passes after a minute or two :)
    If i'm HIIT-ting I'll do a minute full speed max heartrate (which is somewhere around 210) followed by a minute recovery in which my heartrate will drop to 150. If you are able to do this on a regular basis you will see fatburning-results like you've never seen before. Promise!
  • NormInv
    Options
    ^impressive.

I get up to 90% of max at 183 and bring it down to 130. I think I may be in good shape :)
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    Offtopic-alert:
    If you want to track progression on your fitnesslevel, start timing how long it takes for your heartrate to normalize. My restheartrate has gone to little below 60 and my recoverytime to little over 7 minutes (from peakvalue to 70). I really would have like to known this a long time ago :) Besides the cardiovasculair benefits are the musclesparing ones. It's truly 20 minutes of magic.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options

To me this is even superior - taking the 'high' range up from 30 secs to 2 minutes.

But I am a HUGE proponent of doing HIIT based on HR. I do not think you can easily maintain 90-95% of max HR for 2 minutes straight unless you are in exquisite condition.

Found this link on the webs for HR ranges and based on this link, I think I am doing it right:

http://www.workoutnirvana.com/using-hiit-for-weight-loss-endurance-strength/

I think 20 minutes sounds good, and I think one needs HR monitor to have an effective HIIT. If you want to see how fit you are, it doesnt matter how quickly you can get up to 90% or 95% of max, but how quickly you get down to 50%. The supreme athletes would be able to bring the HR down in seconds. Like those cross country skiing and shooting guys at the olympics who have to shoot at object with zero heartbeat after dragging their *kitten* hundreds of yards.

At about the 145 mark I am struggling, but I work it out and push it through that last 15. it is definitely the last thing I do while working out because after I am utterly exhausted.
    I do wear an HRM. Everything is monitored.
    Also I believe I said bust because he said it, does not make it gospel.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I do know I was curious to how many calories I'd burn doing Insanity Fast and Furious 20 mins, Cardio X P90X almost 45 mins. and Level 2 of Shed and Shred 54 mins. So one week I did them each and I burned more calories with the 20 min Fast and Furious than the other 2. I was surprised. I'm not sure if everyone would have the same results, but pushing it as hard as I could, those were my results.

This post has nothing to do with anything.

:laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: