Slowly upping calories? & fasting Q.

Options
I'm about 5'8 (172cm) and currently 92kg. I started this site eating 1200cal, upped it to 1400 maybe two weeks ago and now to 1500 ...
From what I can work out ...

TDEE - 2093
BMR - 1744
TDEE -20% - 1674

(I eat back exercise calories and log exercise for any burns over 100cal)

... should I slowly start adding more calories over the next couple of weeks? I feel if I suddenly went up to 1700, I'd start making unhealthy choices to fill the calories.
Also, I have two occasions of weeks away coming up where I'll probably have far too many calories so would a longer term fasting cycle work? So have 1200 a day for a week, then have more for a week then have 1200 for a week or two, then have a week of more and then go back down to 1700? Or would the cycling over that time range not work like intermittent fasting?

Replies

• maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but your BMR doesn't seem right. From what I've seen TDEE-20% doesn't generally equal less than your BMR.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I find that confusing too but I've had people assure me it's fairly common (as it's not a huge difference)...

edit: and the reason I'm aiming guessing 1700 would be a good number for me to loose weight at, because it's kinda in between. My TDEE at my goal weight is also around 1700 so it'd be nice to be able to keep the calories I eat consistent...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the 20% deficit does drop below BMR, in which case you should go up to a 15% deficit. You want to stay above those coma calories!

You don't have to make unhealthy choices to reach the higher calorie goal - add a handful of walnuts to morning oatmeal, or a salad, or just eat them (or any nuts, really) as a snack. Dip a sliced apple in a tablespoon of peanut butter. Use olive and coconut oils in cooking or salad dressings, add avocados to your meals. These foods are good for you, but are calorie dense, so you get a good dose of calories in a small portion, and you can reach that higher cal goal without adding any junk.

Edited to add: And I don't have an answer for the second part of your question - sorry!