What's the bumping etiquette on MFP?

roolmc
roolmc Posts: 47
It was my understanding that bumping a discussion was to highlight it. For example re-asking an orphaned question or reiterating an important point. I would have though overuse is a little like highlighting a whole page of text book (which I've seen done); redundant, and perhaps a little spammy? Or, am I totally wrong and it's just used as a "like" button here?

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    There's etiquette on MFP?? :noway:
  • I think some people use it to mark a conversation so they can look back at it for reference or because they find it interesting.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    depends. Your own thread? I would say no sooner than an hour, an old thread? I would not bump any thread that is more than a week old. IMHO
  • roolmc
    I think some people use it to mark a conversation so they can look back at it for reference or because they find it interesting.

Ah, OK, I see why people would do that... but it does fill up interesting topics with noise which is a shame.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    bump
  • roolmc
    depends. Your own thread? I would say no sooner than an hour, an old thread? I would not bump any thread that is more than a week old. IMHO

I don't think I ever bumped a thread tbh. The only situation I think I would is if I found someone asking a question I would really like to know the answer but it's slipped down the discussion list (for whatever reason).
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

Pretty much this
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    Yeah, unlike most vBulletin formatted forums, you can't Subscribe to threads here, and you can't Unsubscribe. So lots of people will bump a thread to get it into their topics.

This is not the most user-friendly forum.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    I wrote *licks paw* one time to bump a thread when I had a cat picture up, to be cute and stuff.

and i got a warning:grumble:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    I wrote *licks paw* one time to bump a thread when I had a cat picture up, to be cute and stuff.

and i got a warning:grumble:

was the cat naked?
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    This is not the most friendly forum.

Fixed it for you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I felt it reasonable to bump an old thread the other day as it was the only one I found thru research of these threads or on google dealing with the topic I was interested in, but not answered fully by the few repliers. I hoped bumping it would let fresh eyes and new info perhaps answer the question. I don't see what would be wrong with that?
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    ?bb_attachments=620882&bbat=68767&inline
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    ?bb_attachments=620882&bbat=68767&inline

Love, love, love TPB!