How to respond to a smug vegetarian?

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I would buy a huge block of cheese and eat it in the car with him. And eat it. If he said anything about cheese, I'd agree enthusiastically.

"You're so right. Cheese is a killer." Then take another huge bite.

Love :drinker:

You should add bacon to EVERYTHING you eat in front of him. *disclaimer I have been vegan and vegetarian in the past and he sounds like an *kitten* hat to me*
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Cook some bacon in the microwave at work. Make the whole place smell like bacon!!!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Then he proceeded to say - "well, none of the people in Auschwitz were overweight."

are you effing kidding me?! he honestly compared someone working towards getting HEALTHY to the prisoners or Auschwitz!?
    Sounds like this person needs his head checked because there is something seriously wrong with them.
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry more sorry for the wife. Ugh what a d***. Maybe just tell him that he doesn't need to worry about your diet. And I agree with the jellybeans lol, offer him some. If I was feeling particularly evil, I would give his wife some jelly beans. Constantly talk about cheese, the different kinds, tastes, how you like to eat it, cook with it. If he really thinks he is your friend, ask him for a cheese of the month club for Christmas. You could just ignore it, but his smugness needs a slap.
  • cindygretz
    Options
    I would buy a huge block of cheese and eat it in the car with him. And eat it. If he said anything about cheese, I'd agree enthusiastically.

^^ This

Also, a hunk of chicken.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Did I read right in that you want to introduce drugs testing because he smokes weed? Why would you want to do that? Sounds far worse than him talking about cheese.

The company used to do random testing - I work in the chemical industry with lots of things that could blow up, spew crap into the environment or kill people. I just don't like any one who could be drunk, stoned, tweeking, hallucinating, etc. operating heavy equipment on a job site. My suggestion to bring back the random testing is being considered. I've had to let people go in the past for showing up to work drunk or stoned. One situation was really hard - he was a good guy and a good employee - he had a rough situation and had a few drinks before his shift - he got tagged for being drunk by supervisor, tested via breathalyzer, and was fired.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^^ this

The best way to deal with people who lecture you about what you eat is to eat the foods they're telling you are the root of all evil in front of them, and when they tell you how bad it is, tell them how much you enjoy eating the poison.... seriously. They'll think you're too far gone to bother trying to lecture you again.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Love :drinker:

You should add bacon to EVERYTHING you eat in front of him. *disclaimer I have been vegan and vegetarian in the past and he sounds like an *kitten* hat to me*

I approve wholeheartedly of your use of "asshat" as well. bahahh.

"Cheese is a killer"
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    "admits he likes playing devil's advocate" - Sounds like my ex-husband, lol!

But playing devil's advocate about jelly beans and cheese would actually be opening a discussion about the effect consuming those products has on the digestive system, the body as a whole, and perhaps the environmental effects of sugarcane harvesting and mass dairy production. SMH.

Next time he starts a commentary, I'd respond, "I didn't ask for your opinion so please keep it to yourself." If he starts to respond to that, interrupt and say, "Did you not understand what I said? I don't care what you think about my personal choices."
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

That's what I would do too. I usually skip cheese or have soy cheese but in this situation I'd eat lots of dairy cheddar :)
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Some people just need to be right...it's an ego thing. Even if he wasn't a vegetarian, he would find some other way to be "holier-than-thou". Ask him if he's seen a therapist to talk about his obvious insecurities.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

That's what I would do too. I usually skip cheese or have soy cheese but in this situation I'd eat lots of dairy cheddar :)

Defo this - I can be very petty when I want to be - and he IS an asshat.

Cheese is tasty tasty protein. :love:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Stop talking to him. Seriously, just walk off when he opens his yap. In the car, don't respond to him when he starts crap.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone who just likes to argue and win his point. Start responding with a noncommittal "hmmm" so that he has nothing to argue against. Nothing you are going to say anyway is going to change his mind.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My favorite reply to a vegetarian "If God didn't want people to eat meat, he wouldn't have made them so damn tasty."
  • stargazer008
    Options
    In my bio class, I also have to deal with a person like this.

Just ignore him, eventually he will get the idea that you do not wish to engage in further conversations.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sounds like his cheesestick is too SMALL... and his ego/need to obsess about what women in his life are eating is too LARGE.

Ignore him as much as you can and NEVER share any personal info about your future job change plans.

Listen to ipod/language program/books on tape when it is not your turn to drive the carpool.

Not sure how you made the connection, but you seemed to find a path to penis shaming. Congrats!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Get his wife a gift of a "cheese of the month" club.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    just keep bringing up that he isn't a real vegetarian if he eats fish. that will get him going lol.
    he sounds like a real turd though. tell him to shut the **** up and mind his own business, or that you will shut his mouth with cheese for him.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You don't win friends with salad ; )

http://youtu.be/aM6xVQwIOYQ