Uninvited guests & Unexpected visitors

Options

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    before we moved, friends of my husbands would come over all the time uninvited. my house was always a mess. i guess they didnt mind. the part that unnerved me was that i was usually in my pajamas because i worked from home. after the first few times they did this, i started dressing during the day, so i guess that was a good thing...

then they had a kid, and they would bring the kid over. so i had to have this baby in the house that was not baby friendly at all. it was hard to deal with. all they had to do was call before they came over so i could straighten up and put away the paraphernalia.
  • Irish_Eyes81
    Irish_Eyes81 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on if I'm showered and dressed for the day...if my house is a mess, etc. I've been fortunate to not have this happen often as in most people call me before they stop by =) I have done the whole peering thru the window and being quiet thing as well though ;)
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Depends on whom and my mood, if I don't feel like seeing anyone or that person in particular, I don't answer the door. People who know me know better than to just appear without calling me ahead of time.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Done all above....but I have a dog that won't stop barking so have to answer now! I do HATE people that are early for dinner,parties ect!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to hear from some rednecks. Boobytraps. Stuff like that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican, it's what we do.

I am too but oddly it's in my family where it's taboo, and in hubby's who is not mexican where it seems to be okay? In my family where it's not okay I will adress the protocol for OP who by posting must not be ok with it either. I personally hate it. When said uninvited guest knocks, you evaluate whether any lights are on or loud movies or music telltale signs someone is home.

You run around whisper/scrambling until you decide if you can pretend you're not home/or realize they must have driven two hours to see you or were in the area and something is wrong and they need your help and you must open the door. Then you open the door with this look on your face :blushing: or :huh: depending on what you were doing when they showed up and exactly who it is.

Then you ask "What are you doing here!?!?" in that tone, and shake hands profusely and hug waiting for said emergency explanation or just wanted to see you. Then you ransack your cupboards for anything to give them to eat or drink, offer your restroom and whatever else may be needed, restaurant ideas, local hotel ideas, shopping or sightseeing locations, AAA card and a phone, or just a place to sit and wait out traffic. You never give up your bed. That would only invite the practice to continue. Sweaters is ok they will mail them back. Jackets for kids is your duty, with the phrase "he can keep it".

All of this because two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do. The end.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I live in a gated community, so If security call and I am not expecting anyone I simply do not answer the phone. Or, else I explain that they called my cell and that I am not home.......

They are then requested to leave.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Living in America it was quite easy to duck and hide until they went away. However, the annoying custom here seems to be to invite the unexpected and UniNvIteD guests into the house and offer a cup of tea....it gets really annoying especially when you don't want visitors and they ruin your plans for the day.

We must have tea!
    keep-calm-and-carry-on.jpeg?id=680
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I haven't had unannounced/uninvited guests since I was in my 20s.

When I did, I didn't mind and would spontaneously cook for them.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I invite them in. I like having friends who want to spend time with me. If I have plans, I'll tell them, but other than that, it's fair game. Doesn't happen often. It was common occurrence when I was a kid, so I like it.
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    I grab a knife from the kitchen.....
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I peek sneakily out the side window and then hunker down in my living room all quiet like until they stop knocking.
    LOL, me too. Even if they SEE me, I pretend I'm not there.

LOL!
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    mess up ur hair, strip butt nekkid, and when u open the door, breath really heavily and say... WHAT IN THE H*** DO YOU WANT IM BUSY!!! if that doesnt get them to leave, i dunno what else will.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with it?

I just deal. Friends pop around comfortably like family. Grew up with absolute strangers seated at my family's breakfast table early Saturday mornings following our family marketing excursion, to ask for help or to sell items for their childrens' fees and the like, so to accommodate or to host surprise uninvited visitors isn't out of the box for me.

Edited to add: They too live within the gated community@friends, relevant to one of my homes. For some of my other friends, their names are on the approved list, so they can drive on in, whenever. Has to be said though, that my friends don't feel as though they're guests/visitors in my home and I sure wouldn't wish that on them; Not a smidgeon.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had a policy that all visitors had to call before dropping by. She established that because her husband's parents lived only a couple of blocks away and had a habit of dropping in at very inconvenient times. Once my friend let friends and family know about the policy, then she just wouldn't answer the door if people came by unannounced. Even if the wooden door was open with only the screen door as a barrier to entrance, and her visible through it. She'd just pretend she didn't hear the doorbell.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Who are the uninvited guests/unexpected visitors?
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend decided that it would be okay to just drop by randomly one evening while my current boyfriend and I were sitting down to dinner. (We've been together for a little over a year ago, and my ex and I had been broken up for over two years at that point.) And our relationship didn't end on a good "I still want to be friends" kind of note...

I peeked though the window next to the door and he was standing there. I did NOT want to answer so I asked my boyfriend to and that sent my ex away pretty quickly considering my boyfriend is 6'5" and my ex is 5'7" haha...haven't heard from him since, he never even said what he wanted which is odd....but he is in another state now and I'm more than happy, the more miles the better so there are no more "random drop ins".
  • LethainIowa
    Options
    Unless it's somebody I actually am happy to see, I simply don't answer the door. No law says you have to.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My ex-boyfriend decided that it would be okay to just drop by randomly one evening while my current boyfriend and I were sitting down to dinner. (We've been together for a little over a year ago, and my ex and I had been broken up for over two years at that point.) And our relationship didn't end on a good "I still want to be friends" kind of note...

I peeked though the window next to the door and he was standing there. I did NOT want to answer so I asked my boyfriend to and that sent my ex away pretty quickly considering my boyfriend is 6'5" and my ex is 5'7" haha...haven't heard from him since, he never even said what he wanted which is odd....but he is in another state now and I'm more than happy, the more miles the better so there are no more "random drop ins".

Well there ya go, now you have advice and `life experience`

Never open the door to strangers, keep it locked.
  • dgraboski
    dgraboski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I peek sneakily out the side window and then hunker down in my living room all quiet like until they stop knocking.

LOL I am totally done this many times even if it was someone I knew but just wasn't in the mood I would say oh I was in the shower didn't hear you knocking