HRM?

Options
jtconst
jtconst Posts: 641 Member
I bought a sportline s12 the other day. Yhe thing I am not understanding is I put it on and before I even get up and start working out it starts recording calories burned. If its counting resting calories burned then how do I tell what I am burning from just exercising?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Either manually subtract your RMR or don't worry about it. Unless you are exercising for several hours a day, it's almost not worth the bother.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Only wear it during exercise? :tongue:

Looking at reviews for it, it's not intended to be an all-day monitor I think? And do you have to touch the watch for it to take a heart rate reading? If it's not continuously monitoring your heart rate, then the cal burn isn't going to be very accurate anyway. If you're looking for something just for exercise, you'll want one with a chest strap. the Polar FT4 or FT7 are very popular here on the boards, and there are quite a few of us with the New Balance N4 - mine works great.

Maybe you can return the Sportline?
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It will record resting calories as well as exercise. From what I've heard, HRM will over estimate calorie burn for low heart rates as well. I would try just wearing it when you're working out.