Plain Greek Yogurt

Options
Madaly320
Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
I see a lot of recipes call for plain Greek Yogurt, and alot of people use it as condiment instead of sour cream...does it really taste as good as sour cream? I mean, is it something you have to get used to, or is it delicious? I see it used as a topping for potatoes/sweet potatoes. I am intrigued, but dont want it to be weird. lol

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have never used it as a sub for sour cream so I can't speak based on that. I find that it just tastes like regular yogurt but creamier.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My wife puts it on her baked potatoes.

I can't stand the stuff.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I use it for anything that would call for sour cream, and it's just as good - to me. The probiotics are really good for you.

I also use it to make savory salad dressings, just add spices. Or I mix it with salsa to top potatoes and Mexican dishes.
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It tastes exactly like sour cream. Great substitute!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I use it for anything that would call for sour cream, and it's just as good - to me. The probiotics are really good for you.

I also use it to make savory salad dressings, just add spices. Or I mix it with salsa to top potatoes and Mexican dishes.
    I mix yogurt, balsamic vinegar, milk to thin it and either grain mustard or horseradish sauce as a salad dressing.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think its a great substitute for sour cream!! Like on tacos and things. Every time I've ever tried it cooking with it like in a sauce the texture gets yucky and weird
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i bought some last week and tried it with some fresh raspberries and it was pretty awful. it doesn't taste like nothing, it actually tastes bad. i suppose if you added your own sugar or fruit syrup to it or something it would be good, but i'd only use it if i was making something that had a strong taste and could mask the fact that greek yogurt was in it.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought sour cream in years. I always have plain greek yogurt, so that's what I use and have used since I started buying my own groceries. Also, in pasta salad or coleslaw, instead of only mayo i'll use 50/50 mayo/greek yogurt.
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    I love it as a substitute for sour cream... To me, it has that same acidic taste and, when used as a condiment, is very similar.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    i bought some last week and tried it with some fresh raspberries and it was pretty awful. it doesn't taste like nothing, it actually tastes bad. i suppose if you added your own sugar or fruit syrup to it or something it would be good, but i'd only use it if i was making something that had a strong taste and could mask the fact that greek yogurt was in it.

I made coleslaw with half greek yogurt, and half mayo and brought it to my dad's who "hates" yogurt. He couldn't even tell the difference. Also, I'd say if you wanted it sweet, just add a bit of honey and some vanilla. That would've have been delicious with raspberries! In my opinion, anyway.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I like it as a sour cream substitute. Not exactly the same, but very close, particularly the full fat versions. I also eat it with fruit. It's not great to me with sour fruits, but if you have sweet fruit, I think it's fine. Not my favorite thing, but it's so much healthier than buying fruit on the bottom or side.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt does take a little time to get accustomed to it. at first i thought it was so bitter, even with the fruit mixed it, but now its the only kind i will eat. I haven't tried substituting for sour cream, but i think that will happen fairly soon
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand, some are definitely better than others! Of all the ones I've tried, Trader Joe's is my favorite. I use it as a sour cream sub all the time. My kid eats it, but still says she prefers sour cream. :tongue: I don't really notice the difference any more.
  • kimmcconkey
    kimmcconkey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think it tastes similar at all! If it's mixed with something though it tastes close. i do use it a lot as an oil/sour cream substitute in baking though.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I use sour cream when I want sour cream, and eat Greek yogurt as Greek yogurt. I love the stuff.
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt , brazil nuts and honey . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference on brands. I tried one and it was disgusting. Tried Chobani and I like it ok. I am not a huge yogurt fan but it is good in smoothies. I use the plain, fat free variety.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I also mix basil, lemon juice and lemon zest to make a great topping for my fish.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have made some cakes and cookies that require Sour Cream and I have replaced with Greek Yogurt instead. No one knew the difference and everyone loved it. I have been bouncing the idea back and forth about not buying sour cream any longer and using the yogurt for everything.

I LOVE Greek yogurt with fruits, granola, nuts, or honey!
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    To me, it tastes identical to homemade yogurt. I let mine ferment for a good 12 hours and use Astro Balkan Style for my starter. It comes out nice and thick.... I use it in place of sour cream for myself, but hubby and the kids still prefer 'real sour cream'. It does not taste the same, but the difference in calories is enough to make me like it!!!
    We still buy 14% sour cream, and at 2 Tbsp for 50 calories, I'll take the homemade yogurt at 17.5 calories for the same amount. I don't want my kids eating low fat, but if it were just me, I'd probably buy a lower fat or no fat sour cream to get the authentic 'sour cream' flavour.
    :-)