trouble eating more than 1200 calories a day

Options
anyone else feeling like it's hard to push their calories to more than 1200 a day? i've supposedly got to eat another 541 calories before the end of today and i'm not hungry or feel the need to. and that's before i even put in how much exercise i've done.

so far i've had..

plain yoghurt w/ fresh blueberries

100g of prawns with 1 cup of lettuce

a plum

lettuce, 1/3 cup of pepper, 1/3 cup of red onion and a couple of slices of bacon on one peice of bread

calorie wise that adds up to nearly nothing - but i don't feel like i want anymore. i last ate over 3 hours ago. every day is like this pretty much.

feeling the same pretty much every day

thinking about it i'm sure i know loads of other poeople who eat way less than 1200 calories a day, my work colleagues who likely skip breakfast, just have a sandwich for lunch and something for tea when they get back. some are overweight, others thin..

very confused

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How is it that you need to lose weight if you can't hit 1200 cals? :tongue: :huh: Seriously blows my mind when I read posts like this, as my goal is 1950 a day and I have no trouble hitting it, and I have no trouble losing fat eating at that level, and I'm a 44 year old woman.

As a 24 year old male, you should be eating a LOT more than 1200 calories. Lean meats, eggs, full fat dairy, nuts and nut butters, avocados, use olive and coconut oils for cooking and salad dressings, cheese - these things add up quickly without being a ton of food, so you're getting more calories without stuffing your face.
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Add Nuts (non salted )
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Have a whole wheat sandwich with peanutbutter and drink some milk or orange juice with it. That will get those calories up in a healthy way!
  • healthyskinnystrong
    Options
    I used to find it hard to get my calorie intake up, but adding in foods like peanut butter, unsalted nuts, granola, seeds and using a little olive/sunflower/vegetable oil when cooking can really help!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Please read this and calculate your correct calorie needs. 1200 is far too little.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

My diary is open and I never have trouble hitting 1200cals - mind you my aim is 1600 :happy:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this question.

If one is here to lose weight, they obviously know how to eat lots of calories in a day. You removed all kinds of things from your eating, in order to get under 1200. Add a few things back in. Problem solved.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

If one is here to lose weight, they obviously know how to eat lots of calories in a day. You removed all kinds of things from your eating, in order to get under 1200. Add a few things back in. Problem solved.

^^^ werd.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpwfvtv4lh1qdgu0s.gif
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    OK... so you're eating lettuce. Did you always eat lettuce? Probably not or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight.

Lettuce is not a well balanced diet.

Breakfast... 1 serving of oatmeal 100 calories, 1 banana 105 calories

Mid morning snack... granola bar 100 calories or an orange 80 calories

See where I'm coming from here?

Lunch... Tuna on wheat or rye toast with some pickles and maybe some baked chips or a big bowl of steamed broccoli.

Mid afternoon snack... a beautiful piece of fruit or some creamy yogurt... or both!

Dinner... 4 oz. baked chicken with some veggies and a side of rice or maybe even splurge and have a half a cup of stuffing. A 1/4 cup of chicken gravy is under 40 calories!!!

Dessert... Weight watchers popsicle or a 100 calorie snack bag of white cheddar smart food popcorn.

The possibilities are limitless... and if you're a guy... you can up that even more.

No eating enough is just as bad as eating too much.

Now go eat something!!! LOL
  • skittles137
    skittles137 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I somewhat understand where this person it coming from. Now that I pay attention to what I eat, sometimes I find it difficult for the last 50-100 calories...not quiet 500 though. I've also had trouble upping my calories. I keep reading about TDEE, but I'm being successful on 1200, not tired, and I'm healthy, so why up it? Although I have upped it 50 calories, and next time I hit a plateau, maybe I'll up it another 50.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A 24 year-old male should be eating a lot more than 1200 calories, unless looking like a skinny 12-year old girl is your goal.

"Trouble eating more than 1200 calories a day"? I just had trouble eating less than 1200 calories for lunch! From the menu you described, it seems like you've got some seriously disordered/orthorexic eating going on. If you add in some calorically dense foods, you can easily eat at a much more reasonable level for a grown man. Avocadoes, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, condiments...there are plenty of calorie-dense foods that pack a good nutritional profile. Part of my lunch was 1.5 oz. of almonds (that's about 36 almonds), which was 240 calories all by themselves. Put a tablespoon of olive oil on all that lettuce you're eating - there's 100 calories right there.
    thinking about it i'm sure i know loads of other poeople who eat way less than 1200 calories a day...
    And I know loads of people who do drugs, drink excessively, drive too fast and have promiscuous unprotected sex. That doesn't mean it's right or beneficial.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe calorie counting isn't for you
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    its possible your lack of appetite is short term and/or youre forgetting what youre eating
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

You'd think it would be this easy.. but that would mean adding it a lot of unhealthy foods.. not the goal here right? the goal is to change eating habits.. not go back to how you were. Because obviously how you were got you here initially. I never understand why people cant' just accept that some of us struggle with this. It's *hard* to eat enough when you are paying attention to what you are eating. When you eat a lot of healthy whole raw foods, it's *hard* to eat enough of them. I'd rather have this problem then the one I had prior.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia makes things a lot harder than they have to be.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    THIS thread AGAIN???

ugh. We obviously know how to eat more than 1200 calories a day or we wouldn't be fat.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Many people who are overweight don't recognize hunger. It's as if their body has turned off this mechanism because it's not needed. At your age, and as a male, it's important to be eating much more than than you are. As another has noted, eat real food. Just less of it than you used to. Eat at specific times even if you're not really hungry. Soon your body will adjust.
  • vcancel
    vcancel Posts: 96 Member
    Options

You'd think it would be this easy.. but that would mean adding it a lot of unhealthy foods.. not the goal here right? the goal is to change eating habits.. not go back to how you were. Because obviously how you were got you here initially. I never understand why people cant' just accept that some of us struggle with this. It's *hard* to eat enough when you are paying attention to what you are eating. When you eat a lot of healthy whole raw foods, it's *hard* to eat enough of them. I'd rather have this problem then the one I had prior.

Ya know what... I could see someone having trouble if they don't know the correct foods to eat. Maybe sitting down and making a meal plan would help. Truthfully there are a lot more foods that you CAN eat than you SHOULDN'T eat. Technically you can eat anything... in moderation.

I listed above a basic daily menu that I follow during the week for work, etc. I also get fresh chicken breast for sandwiches and eat lots of salads with 2 oz. of seasoned chicken on top. A lean cuisine a couple times a week (high in sodium so use in moderation) and a huge bowl of steamed veggies.

My BMR is 2200 so I eat around 1700 calories a day plus most of my exercise calories which usually average around 500 calories. So my daily intake is usually between 1700 and 2000 calories.

I go out to dinner on friday nights with my husband and have what I want. We usually go to the same places so I'm familiar with the menus so I log before I go and eat what I've logged and know I'm still within my calories. I never feel like I'm missing out and if I want to have a drink or a couple beers, I do but I log it all!!

It just takes some planning and advanced food shopping. Best of luck to you!!!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Just eat the *amount* of food that you ate when you put the weight on, but just change what you eat by doing some research for yourself to find high calorie healthy foods - (hint - lettuce is not one).

WTF - There is no need to eat so little and eat like a rabbit to lose weight.

Eat proper amounts of healthy foods and you will lose weight.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Ya know what... I could see someone having trouble if they don't know the correct foods to eat. Maybe sitting down and making a meal plan would help. Truthfully there are a lot more foods that you CAN eat than you SHOULDN'T eat. Technically you can eat anything... in moderation.

I listed above a basic daily menu that I follow during the week for work, etc. I also get fresh chicken breast for sandwiches and eat lots of salads with 2 oz. of seasoned chicken on top. A lean cuisine a couple times a week (high in sodium so use in moderation) and a huge bowl of steamed veggies.

My BMR is 2200 so I eat around 1700 calories a day plus most of my exercise calories which usually average around 500 calories. So my daily intake is usually between 1700 and 2000 calories.

I go out to dinner on friday nights with my husband and have what I want. We usually go to the same places so I'm familiar with the menus so I log before I go and eat what I've logged and know I'm still within my calories. I never feel like I'm missing out and if I want to have a drink or a couple beers, I do but I log it all!!

It just takes some planning and advanced food shopping. Best of luck to you!!!

I do eat what I want to eat. I *love* veggies.. I have always eaten a lot of them, I grew up picking them out of our garden for a snack... the difference is I no longer drown them in butter or sauces. I just eat them as they are. but.. I *do* normally pre-plan my day during the week... Not a week out, but the day before. Then I pack everything up and take it with me.. and am not hungry for it. it's *not* the problem of not knowing what to eat or how to eat.. it's overcoming not be hungry. If I go out to dinner and have what I want and I don't think about it, I end up doing what I did today. And i'm not really worried about the calories in what I ate.. i'm worried about how my tummy feels right now. It's not a happy camper.

I get a lot of veggies every weekend from a farm co-op. this is the reason I can eat healthy, because it's what i have. The grocery store is dangerous. Although as time marches one i'm less and less tempted by the chip/icecream/cookies/high-salt/high-fat foods. Do I never have one ever? Of course not! Of course I have a goodie sometimes. That being the key sometimes.. instead of a whole box every night.

My story is not normal.. I went from over eating to severely under eating without even realizing it and now I am trying to do it right so I don't do either one. So far.. it's good progress. but it's not easy.. not matter what side of the fence you are starting on.
    Orthorexia
    This is not an issue. Just because I want to eat clean, doesn't mean I never eat anything processed or never go out to dinner. (actually went out today and had take out yesterday.. ohhhh bad me) Nice assumption though...
    WTF - There is no need to eat so little and eat like a rabbit to lose weight.

Eat proper amounts of healthy foods and you will lose weight.

right.. don't have to eat lettuce only.. but you do have to train yourself to eat a portion only of food..I can completley understand how that sometimes needs to start at square one. Dump it all and start with veggies, then add in other stuff until you've got it under control. There is no right or wrong way to a healthy lifestyle as long as you reach the ultimate goal and don't harm yourself in the process.