How to recover from a slipup?:(

Options
2»

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/12145-50-day-binge-free-challenge

There's a 50 day binge free challenge, join, helps keep you accountable. We're all on different days.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    For me- a food journal helps with this- I don't mean logging food, I mean the emotions/feelings/circumstances surrounding the meals.

Before you eat, write down your:

mood, location, any additional circumstances, and why you're choosing the foods you're eating.

After you eat record you feelings/mood/thoughts.

Yeah- it takes a minute to do, but it makes me think about what I'm eating and more importantly WHY. It also helped to establish some patterns/triggers (like eating alone on the couch in front of the TV consistently leading to overeating etc etc) and even some trigger foods that I need to be careful with (bacon for instance NEVER stops at a single serving, and beer leaves me hungry and unsatisfied).
  • DreamChaser9717
    Options
    Are you logging everything, even the overindulgences? If not, do so. Seeing the math there in black and white will eventually help to kick you out of your tailspin. Just writing off the day as "lost" and not tracking is the exact wrong thing to do.

It's okay to occasionally slip. You didn't get overweight overnight, and you won't ingrain new, healthier eating habits overnight, either. But you've got to be an honest and willing participant in the process that will help you to make lasting change, and that process is the monitoring and adjustment of your caloric intake and expenditure.

Just do it.
    I did log it! It was to hard to decipher the portion sizes of what I ate so I logged quick calories that I knew would be at or maybe above what I actually ate for today. And I'm not overweight, I'm in the healthy bmi, but I would like to low my bf% and weight to feel happier so I am commuting and will continue to log everything even if it's not pretty!
  • DreamChaser9717
    Options
    For me- a food journal helps with this- I don't mean logging food, I mean the emotions/feelings/circumstances surrounding the meals.

mood, location, any additional circumstances, and why you're choosing the foods you're eating.

Yeah- it takes a minute to do, but it makes me think about what I'm eating and more importantly WHY. It also helped to establish some patterns/triggers (like eating alone on the couch in front of the TV consistently leading to overeating etc etc) and even some trigger foods that I need to be careful with (bacon for instance NEVER stops at a single serving, and beer leaves me hungry and unsatisfied).
    This is such a good idea thank you! I've never
    Thought about this but with my crazy emotional attachments to food and my weight, this sounds like a very smart idea to start doing.
    Thankyou everyone really! I'm so glad everyone's so helpful:)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think that there's several things you can do to move on:

1. Log everything you ate, so you can see a realistic picture of the damage. Sometimes I think I really went overboard, but when I enter the foods I ate, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

2. Decide whether you can adjust your day to ameliorate the damage. If you killed your calories for the day, just move on and eat healthy for the rest of the day. If you only messed up a little, you may be able to adjust what you eat the rest of the day to still come out within your macros and calories.

3. Assess the what and why's behind your overeating. Can you identify any triggers? Did eating a specific food set you off? Was your eating due to stress, boredom, fatigue, emotions, a social situation, the easy availability of food?

4. Make a plan to not do it again in the future. I have come to a place where I'm very familiar with my triggers. Being tired and stressed is a huge trigger for me. I know that I am at a high risk of overeating on days where I'm tired and overwhelmed. If I know it's coming, I try to give myself a few more calories for the day and plan some healthy comfort food to avoid an all-out junk food binge. If I feel like eating everything in sight, I may forgo calorie counting (not logging) for the day and allow myself to eat all the healthy foods I feel like I "need," which also can prevent a binge.

5. Forgive yourself and move on. It's one meal, one day, one week. I overate for a lifetime. One day isn't going to kill you, and guilt and shame will just trigger hopelessness and more overeating. Move on and plan to do better in the future.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

This is such a good idea thank you! I've never
    Thought about this but with my crazy emotional attachments to food and my weight, this sounds like a very smart idea to start doing.
    Thankyou everyone really! I'm so glad everyone's so helpful:)

Food is very emotionally linked for a LOT of people- we use it in celebration, out of sadness/gladness/guilt/anxiety... so understanding the WHY is a big part of changing your habits and approach to food. :-)