Does walking stairs continuously throught the day count?

jerseygirl81
jerseygirl81 Posts: 10
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello All,
I'm pretty new here, and this is my first post so please forgive me if I babble a little.

I'm a restaurant manager, so I'm constantly on my feet. The restaurant I work at has a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, set of stairs that I have to climb on a regular basis while I'm working. I always make it a point to run up them or even jump up them two at a time. I work anywhere from 8-14 hours 5-6 days a week. When I first entered all of my info in here at MFP I checked the box where my general day to day job had moderate activity in it. Does all of this stair jumping count as regular activity or am I actually burning more calories than I realize? I just can't figure out how it factors into my daily life. Any help on this would be great!

Thanks
-Elizabeth

Replies

• ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    I'm not a expert but I would say that this is great exercise. Think about a stair climber at a gym, of course doing something constantly instead of intermittenly will be more effective, but still a workout. I would say that if you had to climb 1 flight of stairs once an hour for your entire shift then you should change your level of activity. Good luck!
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    If walking the stairs is part of your routine day, I think, your sound count that as part of your normal activity that you entered when your filled out the MFP data. If it is in addition to your normal day cout it as extra. Example, I count house cleaning extra because it is not part of my daily routine but I do not count making the bed washing cloths going up and down stairs at home as extra calories burned.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    There is a section in the Cardiovascular Exercise tab on MFP for Walking, Upstairs...if you want to get an idea of how many calories that burns. If its something you do regulary, I would include it as daily activity.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Yes you should put it into your profile, when MFP asks for your normal daily activity you need to put in highly active and it will account for the extra cals burned while at work. Dont log it separately.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Yes you should put it into your profile, when MFP asks for your normal daily activity you need to put in highly active and it will account for the extra cals burned while at work. Dont log it separately.

agreed! You could put moderately active too, just to be safe. I'd rather under-estimate than over! By doing this, MFP will give you a bigger daily allowance and you won't have to enter in your work exercise every day.
This discussion has been closed.