Sushi help

Options
My husband and I are going out to for Sushi tonight and jut o neon the safe side I already logged a few things but would still love some suggestions on how to be careful. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    mmmm sushi :love:

Sashimi is a good choice, and things that would actually be found in Japan - ie no giant rolls etc.

I'm jealous I'd love some sushi right now.
  • EmpressOrange
    Options
    Have miso soup before you get to the sushi, with something in your stomach you will be less likely to over do it on the rolls.
    I ask for half or no mayo on the rolls that have it. Go easy on the creamy salad dressing. Order sashimi. Oshinko rolls are pretty good too.
    I love Japanese food (California rolls for breakfast today), and even though that's probably wrong, I'll work out more so that I can enjoy a little bit more of the food.
    I figure it's ok to treat yourself once in a while. Not saying to pig out, just to enjoy yourself =)
    Oh, and seaweed salad Wakame shouldn't be too many calories either
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going out to for Sushi tonight and jut o neon the safe side I already logged a few things but would still love some suggestions on how to be careful. Thanks for the help.

Oh wow!! I just read my original post......what a mess!!! Lol. Sorry everyone:) thanks for the advice so far.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    How often do you go for sushi? Not very often, I'd guess.

Here's my suggestion: Get what you love, even if it's the deep fried stuff with lots of spicy mayo. Just get it, eat it, enjoy it, log it.

Life's too short to bother with mediocre sushi.
  • EmpressOrange
    Options

=)))))))
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Here's my suggestion: Get what you love, even if it's the deep fried stuff with lots of spicy mayo. Just get it, eat it, enjoy it, log it.

yeah, actually this :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Avoid the ones that are fried or have spicy mayo if you want low-cal. Probably also avoid cream cheese. But honestly sushi isn't that bad, even the fried ones, so my advice is to enjoy and try not to stress too much.

I usually get one healthier roll and one fried roll. I split both with my husband so my total usually comes to around 500 calories, which is not bad at all for a meal out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We had sushi for Valentine's Day. I had miso soup, 3 pieces of salmon sashimi, 2 salmon sushis, and a sashimi/avocado roll. Ok, there's a pattern there but I love raw salmon so if I'm going to have the calories, I'll eat what I like, lol! I logged all that as generic and it was 634 calories, 38 carbs, 20 fat, 56 proteins. Not too bad. Looking bad I would probably have got more sashimi and no sushi though, but I ate very lightly all day so I could indulge LOL.

I do love the ones with cream cheese but I avoided them. Otherwise I like the simple stuff so it wasn't really a problem for me. You can probably get away with 450 calories and maybe 12g of fat if you just have sashimi (not just salmon obviously) without rice and miso soup... I know the big salmon sashimi steaks at wegmans are 350 calories.

Otherwise, yeah, try and eat very healthy all day and just enjoy it!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat whatever I pleased - life is not to be wasted passing on the awesome joys that are the Japanese restaurant. Oily fish is good for you, your emotions, your heart and your soul.

After all, even tempura contains shrimp or vegetable, which are hardly going to be as unhealthy as a Danish Pastry and huge cup of syruped full fat coffee from Starbucks.

Although, I do concede that I would pass on the dorayaki and probably surimi. Mainly, to eat more sake and ebi nigiri. And probably some chicken yakitori.

Enjoy it!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

QFT! ^^^ This is how I usually approach sushi as well, and I have it at least 2x a month.

But if you're trying to keep it a little lower cal, avoid the ones with cream cheese, round out your selection with a fair amount of sashimi, keep the deep fried ones to a minimum (but still have them - they are soooo worth it!)
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Sushi is a treat ... I had sushi today and guesstimated when I logged it today. Don't sweat it, enjoy. Maybe go for a nice long walk to tomorrow and enjoy how nice an evening you had.
  • Dartgal73
    Dartgal73 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm very fortunate, because our local grocery store has the BEST sushi made on the premises in front of you! I normally get a spicy crab salad roll with brown rice. The package is only 200 calories of deliciousness! I also love California rolls. They're very filling and low cal! Enjoy your sushi! I think I'm going to get some tomorrow :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Live a little. Go bonkers. Life's too short not to splurge every once in a while.
  • 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

couldn't agree more with this person! =)
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sushi has calories?? Not in my world!! Enjoy every bite, it's ok to splurge once in a while! ????