calf muscle - unwanted

Options
Any good excercise to loose calf muscle? I have short legs and they don't look good. I've done lots of walking and lots of bike in the past as well as horse riding and my calf muscles are really big. Can you recommend anything?

Replies

• nataliefamily3
    Options
    The muscle isnt going to just go away.. But ive always had muscley calves and jumping exercises pulled them up more. Jumping jacks, jump rope, globe jumps, etc. lost 1 1/2 inch off each calf.
  • kasiek8209
    kasiek8209 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advaice I always thought I should avoid jumping. I guess I need to start jumps :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    pics of calves
  • kasiek8209
    Options
    how I can add pic to the forum?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    There aren't any exercises to lose your calf muscles. If you don't want muscle there, you don't exercise them.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Apart from avoiding exercises that enlarge calves (which you can google), I would say that it is probably impossible to spot-reduce muscles, just like fat. Your body's shape is determined by genetics and your activity patterns. If you, say, sprint a lot, you'll probably have bigger calves.

In general, you'll lose muscle if you eat at a deficit, avoid protein, and don't lift weights. And if you do marathon cardio sessions. That doesn't sound to me like a good goal--but to each their own.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Muscle is easiest to reduce when you don't use it at all. Unless you plan to give up walking, it's going to be pretty hard to avoid using your calves enough to cause them to atrophy.
  • hulahooper17
    Options
    My years of marching band have given me insane calves. Just like any other body feature, you have to learn to love yourself for better or for worse. Strong calves means you have a beautiful, muscular body from all your hard work. Enjoy it, it's a sign of progress!
  • kasiek8209
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I guess I have to learn accept them ;)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As odd as it sounds, you could also go to see a podiatrist. I had very big calves until I went to a podiatrist who analyzed my gait and determined that my flat feet were overworking my lower leg muscles and contributing to pain from the knee down. He fitted my feet with orthotics and not only were my feet and legs much happier, but a side effect was that my bulging shin and calf muscles slimmed right down. If you have any kind of foot pain, it is worth a look see. :smile: