Call out, or not to call out?

Options
I have someone on my friends list who, while a great person, is just always full of excuses as to why her last week was bad, and promises that she'll be better, only to have another excuse the next week.

It's never anything like 'I had pneumonia so I couldn't exercise,' or 'I was snowed in with nothing but peanut butter and jelly', it's always 'my life was so crazy', or 'my emotions were all over the place' as the excuse for eating over, and not exercising.

If it were you, would you want someone to call you on it, or no?

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Accountability is a major part of weight loss and a healthier lifestyle- but unfortunately, outside accountability isn't all that productive. It needs to come from ourselves, as the only true motivation is self-motivation.

She's not ready to make a change... and you can't make her be. :-/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would never say that...so, you would never need to call me out on it......and I would delete that friend.

I don't have patience with those types of things.

She would probably lash out at you if you said anything. That's what they do if you don't give them 100% Hand-Holding-Support.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not call them on it. Many don't appreciate it. I would just be silent when they post things like this.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I would - but then I'd rather honesty before kiss *kitten* - my diet has been rubbish recently, no excuses bar I've enjoyed my social life recently :laugh: and I've said as much on my wall.

BUT some people - esp someone who makes excuses like that might get really offended.

I just delete people who moan and make excuses then complain about not losing weight, so I'd bring it up as if they don't want to take good advice then they are not here for the right reasons, and I don't wanna see it on my wall day after day.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how you go about it. "Hey, stop making excuses and start making it happen!" probably wouldn't go over well, but if you're like, "Hey (Name), I see you're having a lot of trouble the past few weeks and you're not making the progress you want. Next time you hit a bump in the road, why don't you send me a message and we can talk through it?"
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I would want to be called out, but I appreciate the no-nonsense approach. HumAlong has the right idea - a private message that expresses concern. If we all waited until live settled down we'd never make progress.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would say something, but if she takes it bad or gives more excuses, just delete her. You don't need the negativity and poor judgement clouding up your newsfeed.

Good Luck
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I almost never call anyone out on anything. I don't like confrontation, but I also wish that someone had called me out on my BS years ago. I would have been mad, but I would also have thought about it.

What about saying something about how when you're emotional or stressed out, exercise actually makes you feel better? If you talk about yourself, it might get your point across without seeming preachy.