Over the past 7 days………

Options
…………….I have eaten 10212 cals (an average of 1458 per day).

According to my Polar FT4, gym classes (2 aqua aerobics and 2 Body Pump) have burned 1594 cals. (This 6week membership was on special offer at my local gym – I started mid Feb and it will end 31Mar, when I won't be re-joining as its too expensive.)

Dog walking has burned an additional (29.34miles) at 2370cals (according to my Runkeeper app). The dog walking is a typical 7 day figure. I’ve been doing this for the past 7+ years, so don’t consider it to be exercise and I’ve been told not to eat these calories back. Its slow walking – under 3mph – as the dogs are getting on a bit (just like me!)

I’m definitely “skinny fat”….I look slim when I’m dressed but have fat, esp on the stomach.

Other than the dog walking, I’m not very active (apart from the gym classes, which will be ending soon).

After reading various topics on here, 3 weeks ago I upped my cals from 1200 to 1400 a day. I log everything (except water, cos I know I drink it all); I don't buy/eat junk food and I cook from scratch every night; I measure everything.

Anyway, my question is:

I've been reading IPOARM: When calculating my BMR and TDEE etc, what Activity Level should I use (including the current classes and after they stop)? Am I Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job etc) OR Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3days a week). Because I can’t make up my mind, I usually compromise and take the average of Sedentary (1601cals) and Lightly Active (1834cals) and minus 20%, then round it up to eat 1400cals a day. (This weeks average was higher than usual as its been a "bad" day for me.)

When I joined the gym, the PT took these measurements: 154lbs; BMI 24.9 and :embarassed: Body Fat 38.9 (I'm hoping the PT made a mistake here!!) I was hoping to lose about 10lbs in the 6weeks, but after 3 weeks, I’m still 154lbs and 24.9 (I don’t know what the BF measurement is now).

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes fit loser?
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No - wish they did!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your bmi is in the healthy range- just, but it is. So you're not going to lose 10 pounds in 6 weeks. A realistic goal is 1/2 pound per week. Also, you should consider adding in some strength training, not just rely on cardio. You can do strength workouts at home, you don't need a gym.
  • KaySera
    Options
    Isn't Body Pump strength training? I was recommended to take it by the PT at the gym.
  • rclay316
    rclay316 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what about your eating habits. I would recommend only eating 1/2 your calories back. 500 calories a day deficit will give you a 1lb per week weight loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Good thing, you didn't put in a stray comma in that comment.....:laugh:
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I agree with Melanie. I do all my strength training at home with some simple hand weights and using my own body weight. You Tube has plenty out there.
  • KaySera
    Options
    :laugh: Yes - this is the one time in my life I would like to be a loser....but it just ain't happenin' !!!!:laugh:
  • KaySera
    Options

Good thing, you didn't put in a stray comma in that comment.....:laugh:

:laugh: Yes - this is the one time in my life I would like to be a loser....but it just ain't happenin' !!!!:laugh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Were you losing when you were at 1200 calories, and stopped after you increased it to 1450?
  • KaySera
    Options
    Were you losing when you were at 1200 calories, and stopped after you increased it to 1450?

No. I was on 1200 a day (from Jan) until I joined the gym and had a read of IPOARM. Upped it to 1400, thinking I would be burning more cals 3or4 times a week.....but still no weight loss.