Spinal Fusion Exercise Options, Please

Options
Hi! Had successful lumbar spinal fusion about 7 years ago (52 now). Any ideas for abdominal strengthening exercises? Thanks!

Replies

• jpneugebauer
    jpneugebauer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1. Lay on your back - tighten your tummy and slowly lift your right arm and left leg up into the air. Hold for a few seconds, lower, and repeat with opposite side. Continue. Can advance to perform while laying on your stomach or on your hands and knees.

2. Plank - Can start on your knees and forearms, keep body in a straight line (you will want to "cheat" by brining buttock into the air). Advance to doing it on your toes and forearms.

3. Bridge

Those are a couple of good ones to start that avoid twisting. Of course, it will depend on how many levels your fusion was, where it was in your back, and what your precautions were.

One option would be to ask your MD for a visit to a physical therapist who can set you up for 1 visit for a core strengthening exercise program. (I am a PT)

Best of luck!

Pam
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, get an appointment with a PT. You might get really bad advice in these forums. ( Not you, jpneugebauer, your advice was perfect!):flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Physical Therapist would be best to answer these questions after they give you an assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Also, you might as your doctor or physical therapist if you can do Pilates on the reformer machines. It's great for strengthening your core in a relatively safe way too. Might be something to look into.:flowerforyou:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Physical Therapist would be best to answer these questions after they give you an assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^ absolutely this. There is nobody on these boards that can adequately answer your unique situation without the benefit of xrays and your specific needs. That being said, life is harder for you... but not impossible.. You can do it. Just don't cut corners on this one. Get professional advice.
  • meding2013
    meding2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback! Great idea! Didn't have / need a PT after my surgery / during recovery so I never gave it a second thought. Have a great day!
  • meding2013
    meding2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback! Great idea! Didn't have / need a PT after my surgery / during recovery so I never gave it a second thought. Have a great day!