Napping during weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sleep is good for you. Naps will not hinder your progress.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt your weight loss...but I wonder if this is a sudden change in you if you should consider eating more calories? Or more dense calories. Maybe it is your body of saying it isn't getting enough. I don't know, just a thought.

high carb foods increase glucose levels in the body, there is a spike for an hour and a half after a meal, depending on how many g of carbs it contained, the more the bigger the spike. thats why its good to eat foods such as nuts, fruits, whole wheat etc because they have a low GI and it takes longer for the body to release insulin and suck it up into the cells for energy, therefore a person wont go into a natural state of hypoglycemia, this hypoglycemia, or decrease of glucose causes lethargy. voila.

You know many things, but that was not the question.

Will this lethargy/napping hurt weight loss?

NO.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something right after I wake up from a nap to jumpstart my metabolism. My narcolepsy was really the main driver of my obesity. Just be careful.
    With love,
    Burt
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt your weight loss...but I wonder if this is a sudden change in you if you should consider eating more calories? Or more dense calories. Maybe it is your body of saying it isn't getting enough. I don't know, just a thought.

high carb foods increase glucose levels in the body, there is a spike for an hour and a half after a meal, depending on how many g of carbs it contained, the more the bigger the spike. thats why its good to eat foods such as nuts, fruits, whole wheat etc because they have a low GI and it takes longer for the body to release insulin and suck it up into the cells for energy, therefore a person wont go into a natural state of hypoglycemia, this hypoglycemia, or decrease of glucose causes lethargy. voila.

You know many things, but that was not the question.

Will this lethargy/napping hurt weight loss?

NO.

im sorry, read more carefully next time, because i already answered the question in my other post.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Work hard, nap hard. That's what I always say Jack.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Ahhh yes! I remember those days! I haven't had to nap in a while, but I used to be so exhausted that I had to have a nap after working out! I don't know if my daily routine has just changed, or if I'm just not as tired after working out. Either way, your body will adjust. Get your nap on! If it starts bothering you, or if it persists for too long, try going to bed a little earlier or sleeping in a little later, if either of those are even possible. lol. Good luck! Sounds like you're kicking booty! :happy:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Also, if you want to avoid being sleepy, try getting your heart rate up. Do some jumping jacks, dance around the house, walk, run, whatever, but get that heart rate up, and it will keep you from feeling sleepy, atleast for a little while. I'm sure if you're sleeping too much, or if you're eating and then sleeping right away, it probably could hinder weight loss.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I just woke up from a lovely siesta. Doesn't seem to hinder my loss any.
  • TommyBassman325
    TommyBassman325 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everybody!!!!! I've also discovered cayenne pepper a little late in life. Adding that to the diet as well.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Gosh I wonder what those who work third shift and sleep during the day do to lose weight. Does this make a difference?

I work 9pm to 7am 4 straight days out of the week and have gone from a size 20 to a size 6. As long as you get the sleep you need, your body doesn't seem to care when you get it.

And I enjoy my naps, too.
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Naps are great imho - some people can do it - some can't - A 20 minute power nap:yawn: - if your body needs it - it needs it and if you have the luxury of taking a little siesta in mid-day - I say more power to ya!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

...which explains (I think) why, when I have a total carb out (something like spinach & ricotta cannelloni), despite also having salad with it and lots of water (and probably coffee) - about 60 minutes later, I'm snoring on the sofa.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.. I think if you are tired, it's better to take a rest than the latter.

I remember reading a few articles that suggested that not getting enough rest hinders weight loss progress..
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a few articles that suggested that not getting enough rest hinders weight loss progress..

Yeah, if I remember correctly (from my college health class all those years ago...), a lack of sleep can increase production of cortisol because of the adrenaline necessary to stay awake, as well as the "craving" for energy, which can screw with your insulin function.

And all the health professionals I've talked to about weight loss (nutritionist, doctors, etc) have said it's important to get plenty of rest. So if your body is telling you that you need to slow down or take an hour to rest, I'd listen.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

...which explains (I think) why, when I have a total carb out (something like spinach & ricotta cannelloni), despite also having salad with it and lots of water (and probably coffee) - about 60 minutes later, I'm snoring on the sofa.

:flowerforyou:
  • drewunalkat
    Options
    napping is actually shown to increase weight loss. it reduces stress hormones (like cortisol) which cause your body to store fat. as long as the napping isn't keeping you up at night and disrupting your sleep cycles - you are all good! many body builders nap after a big workout
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    i finally broke my plateau when i started a sleep deprivation cleanse. sleep is the enemy. try to stay awake as much as possible
    I haven't slept in 2½ years.

There's this guy that's been awake since the second world war...
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

This^ Tommy, my dear I've been telling you this for awhile now. Either way, naps or no naps you are doing great. I WISH I could nap. Happy snoozin'