Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• lenap73
    lenap73 Posts: 11
    Options
    Are you serious?
    Try profession bodybuilding forums.
    Quality of food matters a heck of alot more than quantity. Professional athletes have proven this.
    For the record, there is no food I don't like which is one of the reasons I am where I am today.lol!
    The bread on a bacon cheese burger, the processed cheese and the bacon are all bad for you. (white bread, fake cheese and enough sodium and nitrates to kill you.
    It's crap crap and crap.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thank God for the MFP experts......I hope I can be one of those all knowing, smarter than everyone people someday. We should ALL stop researching different programs and just post our start weight and goals in the forum section here and wait for the smart people to tell us how it's done. Because ya know, this fitness thing is one size fits all and if you don't know your TDEE you're just stupid! (Almost 2 years into this and I don't even know what it TDEE stands for, guess I'm doing it all wrong)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My response to all those links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

This is why most people fail.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    standing-ovation-o.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
    Quality of food matters a heck of alot more than quantity. Professional athletes have proven this.
    For the record, there is no food I don't like which is one of the reasons I am where I am today.lol!
    The bread on a bacon cheese burger, the processed cheese and the bacon are all bad for you. (white bread, fake cheese and enough sodium and nitrates to kill you.
    It's crap crap and crap.

So you can become a boydbuilder by eating 1200 cals a day as long as they're 'clean'? Um...no.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Actually, for her age it really is not that low.

TDEE for a 130 lb sedentary 75 year old female at 66 inches tall is 1405. That's not much lower.

For someone who is moderately active, it is 1815. Which is higher than what she's eating, and she is a lot more than moderately active.

Yes, but she will have had a lot of AT for her running. I said it's not *that* low.
  • lenap73
    lenap73 Posts: 11
    Options
    Are you serious?
    It's crap crap and crap.

No that's not what I am saying.
    I was responding to an "eating bacon cheeseburger" everyday comment. Somehow I didn't quote and post properly sorry
    So you can become a boydbuilder by eating 1200 cals a day as long as they're 'clean'? Um...no.

to this comment:
    Where on earth did you get the idea that you can't lose body fat if bacon cheeseburgers are on the menu? Personally, I like bacon cheeseburger pizza.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in real life who is almost 40, eats right at 1200 calories daily, along with running 9 miles a day and got to her goal and has maintained for a year with building muscle. It's not always black and white to me when I take her into account...

BUT with that said, I cannot eat that little without dying LOL. I'm trying to up my calories in order to better lose. I'm at 1500 now on non exercise days and eat back exercise but struggling to do it without junk. Would love to see someone's typical food day that eats a good amount of calories on ONLY healthy food and is losing weight steady. I've asked this in the past and been told to eat ice cream and cake and I'm NOT doing that.

I think this could be an informing thread for people but disagree in the way it was done (singling out people who have posted for help is not right in my opinion)

Before joining this site just a little over 2 weeks ago, I lost 50 pounds (primarily in 2012). I ate LOTS of junk, didn't track a thing. As I had so much to lose and felt overwhelmed, I began with small changes. I became more active in my day to day job - going from a sedentary career to a 'on-my-feet and lifting stuff all day long' one. This was an intentional choice and I realize many people cannot make that choice. That was a huge change for me. Toward the fall of last year, I decided to take on exercise. During that entire time, I still was not paying attention to eating or water consumption. I guess you can say it was all activity based.

It was only when I joined this site that I was ready to tackle my eating habits. So, I have lost 3 pounds in my first two weeks and admittedly, I was following the 1250 recommended by MFP. BUT, I have been following this debate religiously because really - I have done this weight loss thing (the 1200 thing) about 10 times in my adult life. I am fed up with it. I WANT to learn other ways and methods. I WANT to hear about others who have tried things with a different approach and have maintained it.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER (not yelling, lol - emphasizing). DUE DILIGENCE IS INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY. No harm can come from reading new approaches and weighing for oneself if it is a possiblity that it might be the way to take.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thank God for the MFP experts......I hope I can be one of those all knowing, smarter than everyone people someday. We should ALL stop researching different programs and just post our start weight and goals in the forum section here and wait for the smart people to tell us how it's done. Because ya know, this fitness thing is one size fits all and if you don't know your TDEE you're just stupid! (2 years into this and I don't even know what it TDEE stands for, guess I'm doing it all wrong)

If you don't know what TDEE stands for, that means the 78 lbs you lost was all muscle and organ tissue and you probably only have a few seconds of life left.
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to eating what you want but in moderation? That’s what I do and I average around 1200 a day and don’t go hungry. I’m 5 foot and exercise often.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Are you saying it's better to eat 2000 calories of processed junk than 1200 calories of healthy nutrients?
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    I think this very bizaare anti 1200 thing is a little odd and just not very nice. Instead of attempting to make fun of your fellow fitness pal's why not offer support. This site was created so people on similar journeys could support each other, not poke fun, as fatties surely we get enough of that in everyday life.

To quote everyone's mother, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

Han x
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    don't care about all the posts in this thread

taso, get ready for this:

you're so damn right. :drinker:

26 YO male! What else is new. :laugh:

A male ob-gyn possibly saved mine and my baby's life. But no, a man can't possibly know anything about a woman's body....

The fittest, strongest, best looking women I've seen got that way by doing the same thing men do, i.e. eating TDEE +/- whatever percent is right for their goals, and lifting heavy (5-12 reps to failure). There are some differences, i.e. their actual TDEE may be a little lower and the weights they lift may be a little lighter, they may take a little longer to get there, and women carry a little more body fat than men. But as these methods involve adjusting everything to the individuals metabolism and levels of strength, it doesn't really matter whether you're male or female, you eat according to your numbers and lift the weights that are the right weights for you. And in terms of carrying more bodyfat, it means women tend to get visible abs around 16%, while men don't generally get visible abs until 10% or lower. Women are not *that* different to men, and all this "women are totally different so have to do special and very different things to men" does nothing but hold women back. BTW women who don't want visible abs or muscle definition still get excellent results using this method, but they don't cut the body fat below 18-20%.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I think this very bizaare anti 1200 thing is a little odd and just not very nice. Instead of attempting to make fun of your fellow fitness pal's why not offer support. This site was created so people on similar journeys could support each other, not poke fun, as fatties surely we get enough of that in everyday life.

To quote everyone's mother, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

Han x

^^^^Winner!
  • madrose0715
    Options
    I should add, to be completely fair, that I think a lot of younger people who are more active in their daily lives are making a big mistake by jumping straight onto 1200 as their total number for the day. But MFP never intended for them to do that. It is for sedentary people and that means it is not for people who work on their feet, students who cross campus with giant backpacks full of books, and those kids trampling across people's lawns. These hoodlums need to eat more than 1200 every day even if they don't make a conscious effort to work out. Now get off my lawn!

This exactly is the point. Just because 1200 calories a day is the right number of calories for a very petite, sedentary, older woman or someone with a medical issue that slows the metabolism, does not make it the right number of calories for a larger, younger more active person with no medical issues.

If someone genuinely only needs to eat 1200 calories a day, and they punch their data into a TDEE calculator and subtract ten or twenty percent (depending on how much they have left to lose), then the number they end up with will be 1200 calories (or close to it) and they can carry on safe in the knowledge that it's the right number of calories for them. The problem is, the vast majority of the time when people on 1200 calories a day diets do that, they get a really big number, sometimes well over 2000. Some of them think again and work their way up to eating the higher number of calories, and end up feeling a lot happier, healthier and having a lot more energy, and also experience more steady weight loss as a result. Others freak out at the big number, refuse to eat that much and carry on eating 1200 calories a day. Then there are those who refuse to even try to punch their numbers in the calculators. People who genuinely need to only eat 1200 calories a day will not lose anything by punching their numbers into the calculators to see if they really and truly do only need to eat 1200 calories a day.

*tiptoes carefully from your lawn*

This exactly. I see a lot of people asking if they should "follow MFP numbers or TDEE-20%." If you have both set up correctly, they should be about the same. My TDEE-20% would be 1820. As a lightly active person, MFP gives me about 1300 to lose one pound a week, and averaging 400 calories per workout, that puts me at about 1700. Pretty close.

^^ yes, when I changed from 1.5/week to 1lb/week, the number MFP gives me and the number TDEE -20% is like maybe 75 calories different...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    BUT with that said, I cannot eat that little without dying LOL. I'm trying to up my calories in order to better lose. I'm at 1500 now on non exercise days and eat back exercise but struggling to do it without junk. Would love to see someone's typical food day that eats a good amount of calories on ONLY healthy food and is losing weight steady. I've asked this in the past and been told to eat ice cream and cake and I'm NOT doing that.

Just a little bit more of everything you're eating now. If you want some cake and ice cream... go for it. If you don't, don't. Have a couple extra ounces of chicken at dinner, a larger serving of vegetables, a normal serving of pasta or rice, an extra slice or serving of cheese, an extra egg with breakfast, an extra half cup of cereal, or supplements like protein bars or shakes.

The biggest thing is to plan your day with the amount you'll burn with exercise in mind, so it's just a matter of "eating," not "eating back." Don't wait until the end of the day to try to make up the difference. Make sure you're using your food diary to plan your meals, not just record them.
  • Sunlight2013
    Options
    Jesus with this picture! LOL Trying to give a girl a heart attack!!
  • madrose0715
    Options

Han x

Who is 'MAKING FUN' of those eating 1200 cals??? Jeezus Christ. This is all just information for people to process. If you are one of the people who take personal offense to other ideas being presented - DON"T READ THE THREAD. lol. This is getting ridiculous. No one is forcing anyone here to do anything. It is called debate, people.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    don't care about all the posts in this thread

taso, get ready for this:

you're so damn right. :drinker:

26 YO male! What else is new. :laugh:
    Want to hear from a 49-year-old woman? I've been netting between 1500-1800 since mid-January, usually eating over 2000 calories per day (and as high as 2400).

Results so far: I've lost 8 pounds in less than 8 weeks. Maybe we are all different, maybe you've calculated your BMR and TDEE and you genuinely need to eat 1200 to lose weight, maybe you're under a doctor's supervision. But it's not just the young men who can eat more and lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
    It's crap crap and crap.

That's actually not true at all. Most professional athletes eat high calorie foods in order to *maintain* their weight. There is *nothing* unhealthy about white bread, and who the hell said that I would *EVER* put fake cheese product in my food? I use sharp cheddar TYVM! And there's NO WAY to get enough sodium in one meal to kill a person. That's simply not true. You need to do some research.

ETA: And FTR, I don't actually eat cheeseburger, but I do enjoy a bacon cheeseburger pizza from time to time. :bigsmile: