Eating within 30 minutes of your workout??

Options
Today I read "You lose 50% of your workout if you don't eat within 30 minutes of finishing".

To me, this sounds a little ridiculous. Anyone know if this is true? All comments/opinions welcome.

Replies

• shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that eating easily digested carbs and quality protein within thirty minutes is best because that's when the body is most open to glycogen replacement. This helps prevents the loss of LBM (lean body mass).
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym and all the trainers say the same thing, eat something high in protein after a workout, especially after a weight lifting workout.....and within 30 minutes of working out....
  • TillyNix
    TillyNix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested I eat a banana after a workout - she stressed right after and even at your locker! I thought it was to replace the potassium and other minerals lost by sweating but I didn't know you can also loose lean body mass :-\

My boyfriend has after work-out protein shakes so I guess he knew something I didn't :p

Thanks for sharing, that is VERY good to know and I cannot wait to see other people's answers.
  • knwells16
    knwells16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So maybe a protein shake?
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The way most of these messages get to you is like this:

1. Governmental affairs lobbyists for the food lobby sitting around a table at their monthly meetings;
    2. Action items include coming up with marginal things that can easily be proved and then exaggerated with inexpensive studies;
    3. Ways to distance themselves from the study by working through other organizations;
    4. Ways to promulgate the predetermined outcomes of the studies through bought and paid for media and academics.

You're right to skeptical and even more right to be cynical.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I exercise about an hour after eating, so I am generally not hungry afterward. I knock back water like there's no tomorrow, though!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am 65 and I split my protein shake in half half as part of my breakfast and the balance for after my run specifically to maintain LBM as I lose weight my BF% has dropped from over 40 to 18% and my muscle mass is up fro 28 to 37.5% fact or fiction I cant prove the science but that is what I was told to do PTs as well as nutritionist today I did over 6 miles and had 30 grams of protein as soon as I got back into the house