Chicagoans have NO EXCUSE not to eat healthy!

Options
2»

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. It really rubs me the wrong way when people say eating healthy is more expensive than eating crap. Places like this aren't too common but it does go to show that if you look hard and are willing to branch out and do a little work/research, you can find great deals. Enjoy all your goodies!
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are actually a bunch of good fruit markets in Chicago. Back when I lived there, I frequented Harvestime (on Lawrence Avenue). They have good prices on produce and frequent sales on random grocery items (things like giant cans of chickpeas, olive oil etc.) Worth checking out if you live in the area.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    mastros-bears-receipt.jpg

last time i was in chicago i didnt do as well....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pizza-slice-570x412.jpg
    Chicago-Dog-e1344869519786.jpg
    Screen-shot-2012-06-11-at-10.17.42-PM.png

Here are three reasons.

OMG I NEED TO GO BACK HOME RIGHT NOW.

Pizza and hot dogs in LA suck. Pink's, whatevs
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Farmers market. Two weeks worth of veggies for a 228lb man. $20 tops. Just saying. You're right. Eating healthy is actually cheaper.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    That's insanely cheap. That would easily cost $40 in MA

the tax alone in RI is closer to 10%
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Farmers market. Two weeks worth of veggies for a 228lb man. $20 tops. Just saying. You're right. Eating healthy is actually cheaper.

agreed. I've been working out the numbers for some time now. even in very expensive new england, a persistent person can find ways to feed his family for pennies on the dollar.
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 2 miles from the Chicago City limits and it would still take me forever to get to this market. With work, commute, kids and extracurriculars and such it isn't worth the trip and I would be happy to pay a bit more out in the burbs at their fruit markets. Clearly produce at amazing prices but doesn't apply to all of us in Chicago.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If I posted a photo of my grocery receipt you guys might cry lol....
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    pizza-slice-570x412.jpg
    Chicago-Dog-e1344869519786.jpg
    Screen-shot-2012-06-11-at-10.17.42-PM.png

Here are three reasons.

We could trade places. I will take SoCal over all of this snow any day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

We could trade places. I will take SoCal over all of this snow any day.

Snow? It still snows in some parts of the world? I've forgotten what it looks like. I guess I should mention that it's going to to 85 degrees here all this week.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Too bad this place isn't all over Chicago. I live in Chicago too but nowhere near this market :( It is expensive elsewhere. I still eat healthy but it is not as cheap lol
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow that is cheap. I am so jealous, 1 punnet of strawberries is $5 in Australia.

So 8 of them would be $40 alone

Same in Okinawa.Fruits and veggies are twice as expensive here so I only buy what I know I'll eat before it goes bad. My husband doesn't eat healthy so it isn't much. I'm hoping over the summer I can get locally grown stuff at the Farmer's Markets in the city.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I'll have to pop in here next time I'm in Chicago :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    It really does depend on the area and your ability to find a local farmer's market. Here it's freaking ridiculous. I have to drive 35 minutes to find anything close to decent food.

My Wal-mart finally got quinoa. An 8 ounce bag is $4.29. it's the only kind they have.
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Awesome, Arizona needs a Stanley's!