Eating after 7PM?

Options
I ate very light all day today. Totaled my supper calories around 8PM and discovered I was 220 calories under my net. I don't normally eat late, but I was hungry by 9. I went ahead and made a sandwich (whole wheat pita, turkey, Dijon mustard, and veggies)...I came to within 3 calories of my net calories. Now, I'm full but wondering if that was a good idea...

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it matters what time you eat. I don't agree with the "no eating after __pm" thing. Its more important to eat regularly and healthfully, IMO. That said, stuffing yourself right before bed is not such a good idea. Leads to indigestion and sleep disturbance. But it doesn't really sound like you did that. I think you'll be fine:)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Assuming that eating right before bed doesn't cause you to sleep poorly there's no reason to stop eating at a certain time. I often eat minutes before going to bed and it hasn't hurt my progress.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Assuming that eating right before bed doesn't cause you to sleep poorly there's no reason to stop eating at a certain time. I often eat minutes before going to bed and it hasn't hurt my progress.

Agreed!!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I often eat late and it is not a problem. It was when I had a couple of glasses of wine with it. I didn't sleep to well. Things much better now. I do try not to eat so many carbs late but so far so good!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • martinsa19
    martinsa19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have pondered this at length. I have no real facts. Just my own thought exercise. If you are eating at or below your maintenance level of calories, I don't think it should matter when you eat. If you are eating more calories than you are burning, I could see how eating later in the evening could be worse than earlier in the day.

Thoughts anyone?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Your body can't tell time. If you're within your calories for the day, it's all good. The only reason to worry about eating late at night is if you have problems sleeping from it (some people do, most people don't)
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you eat after 7:00 pm. I asked my personal trainer. Your perfectly fine! :smile:
    BUT

It matters what you eat.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how long between the last meal/snack to bedtime. they say your shouldnt sleep on a full belly and i feel much better since ive quit eating after 8 pm at the very latest i eat a big breakfast , big lunch and a tiny dinner comparatively
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    That was a great idea! You listened to your body, you thought about it, and you ate something healthy. Good for you:)

Timing doesn't matter, what you eat doesn't matter if you stay within your targets, and it also would have been ok to not eat too.
    The last two days I have been 1000 calories over my targets from dips and deep fried pub food and alcohol. I will not gain this week because I will eat to fit my macros for the rest of the week. I find keeping things as simple as possible and believing that I will not gain unless I go over TDEE, is what makes this work for me:)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    When you eat is irrelevant.

Good job on being below your cal target. That's what matters.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it matters what time you eat. I don't agree with the "no eating after __pm" thing. Its more important to eat regularly and healthfully, IMO. That said, stuffing yourself right before bed is not such a good idea. Leads to indigestion and sleep disturbance. But it doesn't really sound like you did that. I think you'll be fine:)

^^^^ this
    the only time I make an effort to not eat after a certain time of time is because when I eat after 9pm (We stay up late in my house) it is usually boredom snacky food and not food to feed real hunger.

If I made rules like this though I would have to go to bed with low calories often as our lifestyle is such that we often eat late etc
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    wow, a page full of great answers.

excellent.

meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss...i myself love eating later...it makes me happy
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    don't do it!! this is how mogwai's turn into Gremlins !!!
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    don't do it!! this is how mogwai's turn into Gremlins !!!

I have appreciated all the answers, so far, but this one made me laugh and choke on my water.....:laugh: :drinker:

Update: well, I made it through the night and even was down 0.6 lbs today. So you all were right. It doesn't matter when you eat.