What grinds my gears while running

Options
Me in the "zone" (loud music in both ears/tv on closed caption) and my husband coming down to tell me some bullsh!t like "you should see the bathroom", or "our best friend is moving out of state". Can't is wait 30min until I'm done? P!sses me right off.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Do we share a husband? Mine likes to "sneak" up behind me to make one of those announcements. Our treadmill is set up so my back is to the door. No matter how many times I've ask that he either come around in front of me or wait until I finish he still comes in behind me and scares the crap out of me!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it's not while I am running, but while I am exercising.
    I usually do JM 30 day shred and my Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds 5 mile tape (its 60 minutes and I do at least 3 miles, most times 5)

I will be sweating and cursing and grunting and yelling while doing the shred and he will say "are you done yet?" "cant you do this later?" "lets watch a movie" or something else equally stupid.
    I will pause my DVD and say "get out or i will hit you with my weights! Ive got 60 minutes to go, leave me alone or i swear ill stay FAT"
    he'll say "i dont care what you weigh, but im leaving cuz youre strong as hell"
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is totally petty and I can completely cop to that – but I will go running early in the morning hoping to have the park to myself, enjoy the sunrise and let the run be sort of meditative and get flustered when I end up near a couple of chatty walkers. It just sort of disrupts my quiet morning... but on the bright side, it will quicken my pace until I am out of earshot. :laugh:
  • brihodges
    brihodges Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is part of the reason why I started going to the gym to run. However, now I'm getting just as annoyed at the gym! My big pet peeves: 1) People who don't wear proper footwear - seriously the lady wearing her snow boots on the treadmill is not only destroying the machine with all the salt and dirt on her boots but she is also clomping along so loud I can barely hear my music. If you can afford to go to the gym, you can afford a pair of sneakers. and 2) People still interrupt to ask stupid questions like if I'm watching the TV four TVs down.

I can't wait to be able to run outside, although I'm sure something will bother me about that too!
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Then HE gets pissed at ME for snapping lol Men!
  • baybeeboo
    baybeeboo Posts: 65
    Options
    Haha I LOVE this post...

I will go to the gym, and I get text messages from him... ''What time are you coming home?'' ''What are you doing?'' Like seriously?! STOP rushing me!!

Gotta love 'em:smooched:
  • WRXymama
    Options
    I swear the one time when we came down to break the news about a friend moving, I felt like I got punched in the gut and couldn't breath. He's like a child that never gets attention.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Run outside instead?
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OMG, most awesome post ever.

I was doing Tae Bo the other day, while the husband was on the couch playing on Facebook. He kept wanting me to stop and look at stupid stuff people had been posting.

The ironic thing is that he's usually complaining that I'm on Facebook too much. *sigh* Can't win. lol!
  • mad923
    mad923 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One of the perks of my job is cheap access to the the state-of-the-art University gym.
    There are a lot of 'entitled' young people who also use the gym.
    It never fails -- I'll be working up a real sweat, burning my lungs out in the zone, when one of the kids hops up on the elipt or treadmill right next to me and --- STARTS TALKING LOUDLY ON THEIR CELL PHONE.
    jeez
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't come in to bother me, but he does kinda lear at me. I'm sure I don't look all sexy running with my hair everywhere and sweating like a pig, but he sure thinks so.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like to run along the bike paths and every once in a while there's a person power walking and in my way when I'm trying to run. I either have to run along the grass to go around the person or go on the opposite bike lane.
  • WRXymama
    Options
    Run outside instead?

Im in Iowa...no chance on running that early. I don't love running THAT much to be out in the cold ;)
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love this! It took almost 2 years but my family has learned not to bother me while I'm working out unless it is a life or death situation. I have a pretty good death stare! That followed by a "Really?! You just can't wait until I'm done? Now what could be SO important?" seems to have done the trick.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Me in the "zone" (loud music in both ears/tv on closed caption) and my husband coming down to tell me some bullsh!t like "you should see the bathroom", or "our best friend is moving out of state". Can't is wait 30min until I'm done? P!sses me right off.

Tell him that when you are working out you don't want to be disturbed unless someone is gushing blood. Then enforce it. Don't even let him get the sentence out. Just ask "Is someone bleeding?" If yes, go help them. If no tell him to go away.

If he can't respect that, you need to have a bigger conversation.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Two major pitfalls to running outside in an urban area:

1) Getting to the cross walk JUST as the light changes so you have to wait what feels like an hour until you can go! Sometimes I just alter my route if I can't stand the wait. Besides the heat, this is one of the reasons I'll get out for runs no later than 7am on the weekends in the summer. There is hardly any traffic so I can cross even a 5 lane main street without any trouble.

2) Having people walk right in front of you. This past Saturday, I saw a guy cross the street who obviously saw me because he looked both ways and then basically stepped right into my path on the sidewalk and didn't even attempt to pick a side, he walked RIGHT in the middle. Then I had to catch my breath enough to yell "I'm on your left!" so he would get the hell out of the way.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    My home has one of those central vacuum systems installed. My treadmill is in the basement, about ten feet in front of the motor for the unit. Guess when is apparently the only time someone can vacuum? That's right, when I am trying to run. Sounds like a damn jet engine two feet from the back of your head. Drowns out my music and everything. Asking nicely not to do that while I am down there does not seem to work either.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i love that all of you have issues with your SO interrupting you lol. mine will talk to me or try to tickle me while i'm on my bike or practicing yoga. i'm like, i'm in the zone, dude! back off!
  • WRXymama
    Options
    LOL Totally loving this! Glad I'm not the only one. Love him to death, and he's loving my running and totally supportive of it....but he tends to forget about "my time" :)
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Yes, I am glad I'm not the only one! I usually get someone (husband or kids) standing right next to me trying to talk... NEXT to me!! Really? So not only am I running, trying not to fall off, but they expect me to turn around too???

I also get everything from, "Hey, didn't you hear... the baby's up" (as IF I'm going to actually toss him on my back and keep running) to: When are you going to be done? How much time you got left? Can't you do this later? or... You've spent all day at work, you NEED to spend time with the kids!

Grrrr...