Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going out to eat at non-chain restaurants...

Looking for suggestions on how to log meals if you go out to eat at a non-chain restaurant. We ate supper at a local restaurant and when I entered what I had on MFP the calories/fat/nutrients vary so wildly that I wasn't sure which choice to pick. Also very difficult to estimate the serving size. Any suggestions would be more than welcome! :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    When that happens, I fall back on the SWAG method - Scientific Wild-*kitten* Guessing. :bigsmile: Basically I find what seems to be the closest match in the database and go with that. With non-chain restaurants, it's really the best we can do. Happens a lot for me - many of our favorite places are local shops with amazing food, but I have to guess at the calories.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    What I do is try to compare what I ordered to chain restaurant offerings. For example, if I go to a local mexican place and get chicken fajitas, I look at the nutritional info for Chili's chicken fajitas. It might not be perfect, but at least it gives me an idea. When in doubt, I always tend to guess high.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    I usually try to find the same item from a chain, and log that. For example, went out tonight and ate chicken madeira at a local restaurant, and was lucky enough to find an entry for the Cheesecake Factory's chicken madeira, which had the same side. But it's all kind of a crapshoot!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    I always use my palm or fist to estimate a serving size. I also look at what is in the database and log on the higher size.
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    did you try google? sometimes you can find the nutritional information for your dish on a recipe website, then you can just quick add however many calories the site says. usually, i'll pick the same dish served at a different restaurant, but i make sure to pick the dish that uses the most calories - just to be safe.