Enquires on sugar intake daily

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.
    This is incorrect.

There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately. Your carb count is different than your sugar count and should be counted with what works for you and what your goals are. Everyone will have a different carb count. And your personal carb count will vary according to where you are in your weight loss or maintenance journey. I won't go more into this, because your question was about sugars.

There are good sugars and bad sugars. Regardless of where you are in your journey you should ronly have 10g or less of bad sugars a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit or veggie for example) you should eat no more than 100g.

So, sugar is not a carb?

Where are your numbers from and what will happen if you go over them?
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    I started ignoring the MFP sugar results when I realized it was tracking sugar in Romaine lettuce. As others have said it is common sense to avoid processed sugar in candy bars and cereal and the like, but otherwise I wouldn't give it a thought unless you have specific medical issues.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track separately.
    This is incorrect.

There are good carbs and bad carbs. You need to track carbs and sugar separately. Your carb count is different than your sugar count and should be counted with what works for you and what your goals are. Everyone will have a different carb count. And your personal carb count will vary according to where you are in your weight loss or maintenance journey. I won't go more into this, because your question was about sugars.

There are good sugars and bad sugars. Regardless of where you are in your journey you should ronly have 10g or less of bad sugars a day. For a natural sugar (a fruit or veggie for example) you should eat no more than 100g.

Wrong.. there are no bad carbs.. there are simple and complex. One burns fast and one burns slow. No carb will prevent weight loss unless you have a medical condition, especially when calories in is less than out.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Sugar is a type of carbohydrate. Carbohydrates come in a variety of forms including sugar, complex carbohydrates, and fiber.
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am fine with everything else usually but the sugar always confused me. I understand that it counts the sugar in everything you eat, but it was confusing me when I would eat kiwi and my sugar would jump. its nice to know that most people go over. I try to watch my amounts but now I am just going to concentrate on my sugars that are not coming from fruits or veggies. Thank you for this.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sugar is a type of carbohydrate. Carbohydrates come in a variety of forms including sugar, complex carbohydrates, and fiber.
    so if sugar is a carb why track both? And what defines a good and bad carb?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am fine with everything else usually but the sugar always confused me. I understand that it counts the sugar in everything you eat, but it was confusing me when I would eat kiwi and my sugar would jump. its nice to know that most people go over. I try to watch my amounts but now I am just going to concentrate on my sugars that are not coming from fruits or veggies. Thank you for this.

for the most part, sugar from a carrot is seen the same way by your body as sugar from a snickers.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

bad carbs are the ones you eat after midnight.
  • luvlaughlin
    luvlaughlin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SARAUK2SF is absolutely correct:

Carbohydrate:

The term is most common in biochemistry, where it is a synonym of saccharide. The carbohydrates (saccharides) are divided into four chemical groupings: monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. In general, the monosaccharides and disaccharides, which are smaller (lower molecular weight) carbohydrates, are commonly referred to as sugars.
  • psuLemon
    Options

This is exactly why i eat my milky ways at 11:59 so i dont get fat by midnight.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

This is exactly why i eat my milky ways at 11:59 so i dont get fat by midnight.

careful with the time change tonight. that can play havoc with late-night carbs.

(unless you are in one of those weird places that don't change times. then you're good. even if you are in a weird place.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes it is, so I am not sure why you said I was incorrect when I said it was.
  • yesschan
    yesschan Posts: 1
    Options
    SARAUK2SF is absolutely correct:

Carbohydrate:

The term is most common in biochemistry, where it is a synonym of saccharide. The carbohydrates (saccharides) are divided into four chemical groupings: monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides, and polysaccharides. In general, the monosaccharides and disaccharides, which are smaller (lower molecular weight) carbohydrates, are commonly referred to as sugars.

Your quote is absolutely correct as well, but it doesn't really clarify anything.
    Many carbs that humans intake come in the form of starches, such as the kind we get from grains. These are polysaccharides, so yes, sugars, just not in the way we traditionally think of them. The "sugars" that MFP seems to track are the simpler mono/disaccharides, like glucose and fructose.

Yes, the sugar adds up alarmingly fast, because there is indeed sugar in almost everything we consume. Yes, some sugar is "better," because as a general rule, highly processed/refined things should be avoided. However, since it can be troublesome to break down the sugar count into various subcategories, this is not really something that is a big issue. Stick within your personal carb limits, I would say... and simply be conscious of where your food comes from. (:
  • luvlaughlin
    luvlaughlin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only chimed in to clarify that SARAUK2SF was correct.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So sugar IS a carb...like Sara said.. Okay got it.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My regular sugar intake is mostly from low fat yoghurt, full cream milk, fruits and nuts. Is that consider as bad sugar?
    There is no such thing as a "bad" carb. Ignore anybody who says there is, as they have no idea what they're talking about. As far as carbohydrates go, there are monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides. Notice the conspicuous absence of "bad" saccharides. That is a meaningless label attached by orthorexic scaremongers.

[ETA:] Sara's post, as was subsequently proven, is 100% correct.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tagging. this one may go epic.

I will also add that I don't track sugar, never have, and never will.

eta: hmm, or did i kill the thread? that's even better :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tagging. this one may go epic.

I will also add that I don't track sugar, never have, and never will.

eta: hmm, or did i kill the thread? that's even better :laugh:

pdxhak-1124-albums-pdxhak-thread-killer-124-picture-a-726.jpg