lost when it comes to strength training

Options
Im not sure what I'm doing is right in the gym when it comes to strength training. I have my eating pretty much down packed as well as my cardio but when it comes to strength training with machines i feel so lost. Im not sure if I'm supposed to be doing the same moves every time with the same amount of weight. I need a good program for women beginners for weight loss.

And recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Prettygeekz
    Prettygeekz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow not one response..... cool lol *kanye shrug*
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    First off.....step away from the machines and step into the free weight section of the gym.
    Second...you should be increasing your weight whenever the weight you are working with gets easier.
    I really liked New Rules of Lifting for Women to get me started. There are lots of other really great beginner lifting programs out there, but this particular book does a good job of explaining why women should lift and lift heavy. And, it does a really great job of breaking each lift down with good pics and explanations.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seconding NROL. It's a great place to start off and will absolutely put you on the right track. Starting Strength is even better, but it may read more like a college textbook and that may put you off. Therefore NROL is a good stepping stone up to something like SS.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Seconding NROL. It's a great place to start off and will absolutely put you on the right track. Starting Strength is even better, but it may read more like a college textbook and that may put you off. Therefore NROL is a good stepping stone up to something like SS.

^What Taso said.

I, myself, am doing a modified Stronglifts 5x5 because I don't have access to a real gym (using my apartment's gym and it sucks)....and Stronglifts is free..lol. But I've heard lots of good things about the other two books above...definitely worth considering.
  • Prettygeekz
    Options
    thanks! i appreciated it. It really becomes intimidating and overwhelming with so much information out there telling you to do it this way and another telling you to do it that way!

I found bodybuilding.com which had many PROGRAMS to follow. Thats what i need, to know what to do when i step into the gym. Show me and i will do that exactly. Looking to transform my body to the best fit me possible. Thats all.

I appreciate everyones response!!

xoxooxoxoxo
  • Prettygeekz
    Options
    Sara i will check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women as well