Heart Rate Monitor - Calories

Options
Is there an easy formula/prcedure using a HRM to figure out the number of calories burned during an exercise routine?

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Are you sure yours doesn't have the option to show calories burned? Mine tells me how many. I have to enter it my weight and stuff, but it tells me.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    Most HRMs will tell you how many calories you have burned.
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My HRM is old and basic. It just tells me my HR and how much of the time I'm in the zone that I set.
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Percent Max heart rate //Percent VO2 Max //Food calories burned per minute
    50% // 20% //3
    60% // 36% //5.4
    70% // 52% //7.8
    80% // 67% //10
    90% // 83% //12.5
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    What's the V02?
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I should have left that out of the chart but go to this link and it explains VO2 testing.

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_news_frameset.html?http://www.runnersweb.com/running/vo2.shtml

MAX VO2 functionally represents the maximum amount of oxygen that can be removed from circulating blood and used by the working tissues during a specified period. World class endurance athletes generally have high readings. See the listing on the results sheet to your query.

Although precise measurements are done on a treadmill with equipment measuring oxygen uptake, you can estimate yours from a recent running race. The race distance should be between about one mile and a marathon (or about 1500 meters to 50 km). Distances outside this range will not give meaningful results, since performance is limited by factors other than VO2 MAX.

You can also use this form to predict your performance at other distances. Once you find your VO2 MAX, try entering times for other distances that give the same value. As an example I (Ken Parker) have used this formula to estimate my VO2 MAX for my PBs from 1500M to the Marathon. The results were: (1500M - 4:24 - 62.9) (3000M - 9:36 - 61.63) (5000M - 16:59 - 60.26) (10K - 35:30 - 59.73) (Marathon - 2:42:45 - 60.22). My actual VO2 Max as calculated on several occasions in the Ottawa U lab during the time of these performances was 62.5.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    wow, that went way over my head but thanks!
    I just started week 3 of C25K today and barely made it through the 3 minute runs, so I won't be running a mile+ any time soon!
    So I guess I can just ignore VO2 Max as "something for experienced athletes and nothing for me to worry about"

My HRM beeps at me when I am over 90% max and it did that on both 3 minute runs around the 2 minute mark. Guess I have some work to do, I'm afraid I might collapse if I let it get that high.
    Your max is your MAX, right? I mean, how long can it be at your max before you have a heart attack or something? Mine has hit 98% before just racing my son up a hill!
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks RBC. That helps a lot. I'll see if I can get this dinosuar of a HRM to give me some good accurate info I can use to chart my workouts.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    check out this site.

http://heartcalories.com/
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been reading about HRM's and Body Bugg and I am wondering ....Is it worth it to get a HRM and is the cal expediture counted more accurately the the estimates on MFP?
    I'm afraid I am over estimating cals burned during my w/o's ..
    Any feedback on HRM would be helpful - looking at Polar F6....

Thanks,
    Janet:heart: