I Know it's like watching paint dry BUT..........

Sorry Folks ....

I'm getting my head around TDEE and BMR I have read and read and read all the lovely and informative threads on this site but I am still confused!!

OK so I have worked out my TDEE and BMR:

BMR = 1390
TDEE = 2399

Right so ... BMR is the number of calories I would need to just to do basic things like breathe? Or if I just slept all day or did nothing? Is that right???

TDEE is the magic number of calories I would need to eat to maintain my current weight? Correct?

So to loose weight I need to eat at some point? below TDEE? (I think I read 15%?)

What are you supposed to do with exercise calories do you just discard them? I usually swim a mile a day and walk my dogs for a couple of hours.

This is very confusing? I usually struggle to eat enough calories to cover the BMR figure - is that a big no no?

Thanks in advance all :)

Replies

• mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Your exercise is included in your tdee so do not eat them back..
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    ^this
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    BMR = 1390
    TDEE = 2399

TDEE is the magic number of calories I would need to eat to maintain my current weight? Correct?

So to loose weight I need to eat at some point? below TDEE? (I think I read 15%?)

TDEE has different values depending what you choose. If you select TDEE sedentary, ie desk work and no exercise, then you eat back your calories. If you select TDEE reality, based on your actual exercise/work, then you do not eat back the calories. These would be the maintenance values for your lifestyle. If you want to lose weight, then you do TDEE-x based on how much you want to lose, how far you are from your goal/normal weight range, etc. You should always eat at minimum your BMR net. Just eat peanut butter, tb olive oil,etc