Successful women, please post a sample day

Options
Good morning! I am looking for some help, I would like to lose about 40 lbs. please post a sample meal day here including excersize. I cant read anymore about nutrition, i need some ideas of what has worked for others. Usually to lose weight I do no grains all week and then cheat on the weekends but I am getting older now, lol!! And it obviously doesn't work for the long term because I gain it back once I hit my goal weight and start eating grain again.
Thanks!!!!!!

Replies

• Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think my diary is open, feel free to look. I still would like to go light on my grain intake, barring any splurging. How much can I splurge? If any while trying to lose?
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. I have an open food diary that my friends can view. I lost 83 pounds.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My diary is also open but to sum it up I try to eat clean most of the time and exercise daily.

No big secrets.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thank you so much I will take a look at your diary.
    Eating clean confuses me too. Because you can still eat too much brown rice or fruit or what have you. Too much ezekiel bread is hard for my body to break down. That's why I wanted an actual sample day. And ideas for what worked. How real people eat clean. Not some example on the web because that's an ideal sample, not what someone actually does.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Today I've eaten:

2 homemade bran muffins, 1 cup yogurt with 1/4 cup kashi, and a protein bar

I'll go to the gym in about 25 minutes and do some interval running for 20 minutes, lift weights for ~40 minutes, and then walk to cool down.

Later on...

canned salad with wild greens, salmon and mushrooms.
    yogurt with pudding mix in it

fillet of salmon with homemade fries

homemade protein pancake
    small protein shake

fillet of salmon with stir fry veggies (I love salmon)

edamame

Total calories ~2100. I'm 4'11 and workout intensely...I love food, I'm not afraid to eat and it works for me.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thanks!! I love food too!! And I love healthy food I can easily gain weight eating clean, what is interval running?
    Options
    intervals are periods of a faster pace or intensity followed by an easier pace/intensity to recover. You alternate between the two. Usually 15-20 minutes is MORE than enough!
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    When eating excersize cals do you trust treadmill display?
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    That sounds great!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When eating excersize cals do you trust treadmill display?
    No, the treadmill usually shows an inflated number, as does MFP. If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) or some other device that measures your burn (BodyMedia, Fitbit, Jawbone UP, etc), then you should be careful when eating back your exercise calories.

I'm sending a friend request if you want to look at my diary. It's open to friends. I work 40+ hours per week, workout 5 days a week, walk every day, and I've lost 40+ lbs. I'm currently in maintenance, so I eat a lot, but it's essentially the same food that I ate trying to lose with one caveat--I eat toast now for breakfast most days, and I did not eat bread when trying to lose. I did still eat rice and oats.
  • LouMonoLou
    LouMonoLou Posts: 192
    Options
    My diary's open for anyone who wants to check! :D

Anyway,my typical day is:

Breakfast:

Porridge with fruit and cinnamon or honey OR a sandwich with a slice of smoked turkey and a slice of cheese OR cereals with milk & fruit.

Lunch:

Chicken salad with lettuce,chicken breast,1 tsp olive oil and feta cheese OR greek cuisine foods.

Dinner:

Yogurt with cereals and fruit OR turkey wraps with veggies and cottage cheese OR cereals with milk and fruit.

I also have 2 snacks of 150-200 calories.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thank you so much! Yeah bread does me in, I may try oats again. I was eating that for breakfast no sugar. I actually had oats with poached egg on top it was delish, and then I would shoot for grain free rest of day, but I was not counting calories back then so may be why I didn't lose also wasn't excersizing
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty average day's food. I know I should adjust my diet to include more fruit and vegetables and do take vitamins/iron to make up for it a bit. I will eat more salad in the summer :-) I've been eating like this since October and have lost roughly 1lb a week and am aiming to lose at least 35lb in total.

For exercise, I set my lifestyle to sedentary (I'm a student with a p/t job that is computer-based) so every piece of exercise counts. I go to the gym properly twice a week and do about half an hour of CV work plus some strength training on the abs. I also go to dance lessons twice a week as a beginner, ie not very strenuous. It is not a lot of effort but that means I'm sticking to it, so definitely choose things that are do-able if you have motivation problems.

It's surprising but this little change to my diet and this little exercise and movement really has made a difference over time. It really will work for you - though you may need to work harder and be more careful if you want faster weight gain.

Breakfast
    Asda - Fresh Milk Semi Skimmed (A), 200 ml
    Weetabix - Weetabix , 2 biscuits (37.5g)

Lunch
    Heinz (Uk) - Potato & Leek Soup (Classic), 1 container (400 gs ea.)
    Generic - Fresh Raspberries, 100 grams
    Fage - Total - Greek Yoghurt - 100grammes, 100 g

Dinner
    Generic - Baking Potato Raw , 250 g
    Longley Farm - Cottage Cheese, 125 g
    Generic - Red Peppers - Raw, 2 oz. (28g)

Snacks
    Copella - Pure Orange Juice, 100 ml
    Generic - Ferrous Sulphate Iron Tablets 200mg, 1 tablet (200mg)
    Schweppes - Diet Lemonade 330ml Can, 330 ml Can
    Marks and Spencer - Sour Cream and Chive Flavour Bagels 25g, 25 grams
    Warburtons - Soft White Sandwich Thins, 2 thin (42g)
    Anchor (Uk - Spreadable Butter, 10 g
    Generic - Smoked Almonds, 1/8 cup
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Today for example I have had/am having:

Breakfast - scrambled egg, baked beans, 1 slice whole meal toast

Lunch- salad, olives, tuna

Dinner - homemade shepherd's pie with mince, courgettes, carrots, peas, tinned tomatoes, garlic and mashed sweet potato on top.

I generally try to get a lot of protein in, so will often have tuna for lunch, and chicken for dinner with veg. I often have poached eggs for breakfast, 1 yolk, 2 whites. I alternate that with porridge. Sometimes for dinner I have a jacket potato with tuna. I rarely eat convenience foods.

Exercise - I usually do spinning once, aerobics twice, Zumba once, a personal training session and 1 or 2 gym sessions of weights and cardio. Sometimes I go swimming.

I now have a heart rate monitor and it shows how inaccurate machine calories are! 25 mins on the stepper for example - the gym machine tells me I burned 280 calories, and the HRM says 150. However, I burned more on the elliptical and a lot more on the treadmill according to my HRM so I suppose it balances out. The database had me burning 450 for 45 mins of spinning and the HRM said 350

I have 2 small kids so am pretty active chasing them around, and I work part time as a teacher so I'm on my feet all day at work.
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Today treadmill said 300 for 30 min, maybe I will eat back 150
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 49...I love to eat and my idea of exercise is NOT spending an hour in the gym. I've lost over 50 pounds (Size 22 to 8/10) just using Jillian Michael's circuit training videos. I have a "spike" meal every two weeks and do not eat starchy carbs after 5. I usually work out 6x/week (30 minutes each) --sometimes twice in one day so that I can get an extra rest day :-) I set goals/rewards for myself.

My "rest" day meal yesterday was:

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal w/banana & raisins
    Coffee w/skim milk & 2 sugar

Lunch:
    Roast beef sub...no cheese, light mayo
    Anjou Pear

Dinner
    Cajun seasoned catfish
    String beans
    Glass of wine

On exercise days, I eat back approximately 1/2 my calories to be on the safe side. When I started, losing 2- 2 1/2 pounds a week was easy...now I'm at about 1 1/2 each week.

Everyone is different...hope this information is helpful...good luck on your journey!
  • tntgal2
    tntgal2 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm at 42 lbs lost so far. My dinners are always variable but during the week I stay consistent with breakfast & lunch:

Breakfast: fiber one cereal topped with almond milk, brown sugar, and a sprinkling of unsweetened cocoa (gives me my chocolate kick for the day). Sometimes I'll add a scrambled egg.

Lunch: big green salad with fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, red peppers, a spoon of garbamzo beans, 1.5 hard boiled egg, and sometimes a few dried cranberries and croutons. For dressing I mix a big portion of spicy salsa with about 1 tbsp sour cream and a bit of sweet pickle relish.

Dinner: usually 3 to 4 oz of some meat (fish, chicken, pork), asparagus grilled with a bit of olive oil, and some other veggie or small salad. Dessert- an apple or berries.

Exercise- most mornings I'm fast walking 2 miles. Weekends ill do a longer walk - one day up to 10 miles, the other 5 or 6 with intervals, and I'll eat back most of those calories (bigger lunch, extra chocolate!, bread with peanut butter,etc). My loss has been steady, I've felt great, love how healthy I feel, and love clothes shopping now! I'm also doing at least 2 days a week with some moderate strength training (Orbeck 10 minute YouTube on tines arms is a good starter), and I also do some core strength exercises using Peggy Brill's book "15 Minutes A Day that can change your life" (which eliminated my lower back pain 2 years ago before I even started my weight loss).
  • Stephiestephs
    Options
    Thank you everyone. So you did have some grains while you we're losing. Anyone have fruit for dessert? I also have a crazy sweet tooth.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. So you did have some grains while you we're losing. Anyone have fruit for dessert? I also have a crazy sweet tooth.

I love bread...and will have it for breakfast and lunch...not dinner. I have fruit with a protein source for snacks.
    good luck!
    Options
    I always eat grains, I will eat fruit if it's available but I don't buy it because i just don't love it. I do eat other stuff for dessert though--like REAL desserts. I make muffins usually or have frozen yogurt or soemthing like that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!