What was I thinking??

Options
While I love to exercise, I have never been good at running. So what possibly could have possessed me to sign up for a five mile mud run? Maybe it was the excitement of being able to play in the mud with a great group of people? Maybe it was the fact that a friend was recently diagnosed with MS and this run would benefit her . Either way, I need to train and I need your help. Can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes and some running tips. I am running in the recreational run, not the competitive one. Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For the running shoes, you need to go to a running store that can assess your stride/gait and put you in the correct ones. However, they will be ruined in the mud run. You will need to train, so get with some of that great group of people and start training for the event. Then HAVE FUN!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running store for shoes - the shoes I like might not be the right shoes for you. Running shoes are the one time it's good to be a special snowflake.

As far as training goes, I would suggest the Couch to 5K app. It's a great place to get started. I've done a couple of mud runs and it's not constant running, since you're doing the obstacles. And sometimes, there's a line at the obstacles, which gives you a chance to get a breather. There can be some "hurry up and wait" to the whole thing. And plenty of people do a little walking during the races as well....especially if you aren't worried about your time and you're just trying to have fun.

I would also recommend doing strength training - you need to be able to push and pull your body weight for some obstacles. Either start a heavy lifting program (like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength) or use an intense body weight training program like "You are Your Own Gym", the Convict Conditioning program, or one of the programs on the Nerd Fitness website.