Advice needed from swimmers

Options
Hi,
I currently swim for just over an hour, three times a week. During that time I swim 70 lengths (front crawl). In order to continue losing weight should I increase my stroke length or frequency? I don't want to have to swim for longer, I need the swim to be more intense. How do I do this? I live in Korea and as far as I know there are no English lessons available near me.
Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You could try increasing drag. No special equipment needed, just wear an old baggy shirt over your suit, which will increase drag against your swimming and intensify your workout. Some people attach a flotation device as well. The pool may have such items to use for free.
    Like you said, you could increase stroke frequency if you wish. I always found mixing up the types of strokes helped too. I swam in high school, miss it a lot!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks that's a good idea. The pool does have some free items but I haven't investigated them yet. I will do that next time :)
    I love swimming. I only stated going about 6 months ago in order to lose weight but I've found that I really love it and want to go back.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    You need to do both actually.

Add some drill work to your workout - that's when you do things like fingertip drag, high-elbow recovery, 6-beat kick, etc.

http://www.mvm.org/workouts-drills.php

Your pull should start at the tip of your outstretched hand and end at your hip.

Pull deep. Try to run your hand in a straight line from your reach tip to your hip. As your hand passes your chest, it should be at a depth of about 80% of fully extended.