Totally new to yoga

acakeforawife
acakeforawife Posts: 207
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone! Today I went a little out of my comfort zone and took my first yoga class. And you know what? I reallllly liked it. There were some poses I couldn't do (obviously) but they were so interesting to me and I really look forward to a day when I might actually be able to do them!

I guess what I'm wondering is, what do I do from here? The class I took today was a simple Hatha class, and it's known for being very laid back, core focused, not a lot of complicated poses or transitions. Do I stick with this class for a while? Try other Hatha classes? Try something else like Ashtanga? Should I look for a 'course' that really teaches you all the basic poses and theory? And is once or twice a week enough to see progress? I already do a boot camp 2x a week, and would like to keep up with my running, so I'm not sure how I'd squeeze in more than one or two classes.

Just wondering if there's anyone here who does yoga, and if so how you got started. Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    hello...

I suggest you stick to that class first to be able to master some of the poses. Because if you jump from one class to the next one, you will be overwhelmed with the poses. Twice a week classes is a good start. But I'm sure if you get addicted to it, you get to squeeze in your yoga classes more than twice a week.

I absolutely love yoga. It is what started me to this healthy life style. Oh and another thing, it revved up my upper body strength.

Good luck....
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    i just started yoga a few months ago and loved getting comfortable with the beginner hatha class- very relaxed pace and good instruction for positioning. i also bought the biggest loser weight-loss yoga dvd (bob teaches it) and now do it at home 1-2x a week. it has 3 levels of difficulty and you can choose which portions to add to your routine each time (warm up, level 1, level 2, level 3, cool down or do all of them).

for me, that is all i'm interested in for now while i focus on circuit training and jogging. just my 2 cents
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    I have been practicing yoga for about fifteen months. What you do next with yoga really depends on what your goals are. I began yoga because I was in so much pain with three herniated discs. Yoga has helped me be medication free and pain-free for months now, something I was not able to accomplish either with physical therapy or seeing two different chiropractors. I choose to do anusara yoga (principles of alignment) and vinyasa flow yoga because they give me the most benefits. When I began yoga I was terrified of doing handstands or headstands, or any arm balances because I didn't want to damage my back any more than it already was. With great instructors, I have learned to do each and the benefits are enormous! The hand stands open the area between my discs and feel just wonderful! My body feels twenty years younger!

My advice would be to try different types of yoga and see what speaks to you! I really encourage you to take a class that is either very basic or has an instructor that goes over proper form for each pose. You want to have the best form you can have to have the most benefit from each pose. Don't be afraid to let the instructor know of any injuries you might have or areas of tightness. They will often do specific poses to help these areas!
  • bobcatsmom
    bobcatsmom Posts: 19 Member
    if your gym has licensed classes, try the LesMills or Body Training Systems yoga inspired classes - you will get to try a variety of yoga/pilates/taichi practices and might lead you to a deeper practice. It's ALL good - listen to your body and give it what it needs:flowerforyou: , then challenge yourself to do more - just like you are!!:bigsmile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I have a power yoga tape that I do on the days I run. It's absolutely wonderful for stretching out my muscles. It also really helps me to focus on my breathing to help me keep from hyperventilating while running. It's only about 20 minutes long. I run, take a warm bath or shower, and do the yoga. I've noticed that my body is much more flexible than it used to be.
  • I started doing yoga over a decade ago at my heaviest. I took Hatha beginner classes for almost 5 years before I was comfortable enough with my body and my stamina to reach outside my comfort zone. Then I transitioned to Ashtanga classes (where there is 90 min of constant flow movement in a 95'F room.) I was the biggest person in my class (and still usually am) but could master almost all the poses. Make sure you keep hydrated in an Ashtanga class and don't get discouraged if you need to take Child's pose every so often to catch your breath. I did (and sometimes still do) take Child's pose when I am feeling light headed and just can't keep up with the rest of the skinny chicks.
    The one thing that my favorite instructor told me was to never watch what other people are doing in a yoga class. (I often forget, but it is very important not to compare yourself with others.) Yoga is not a competitive sport. It is a meditative practice that helps you get in tune with your body, love your body, and become stronger, more flexible and have stamina. It is a holistic practice that includes mind, body and soul.
    After almost a dozen years of daily practice I still consider myself a beginner (even though now I can do several master poses). I still struggle with some poses because I am just not thin enough to - for instance - reach around my body in a Lord of the Fishes bind. But that doesn't stop me from continually trying, reaching further within myself in my practice.
    If you find a good studio I would encourage you to stay there awhile and learn whatever you can from the instructors. Most good instructors will work with you individually and help make the poses you master more challenging along the way (even in beginner classes.)
    There is much to gain from learning more about the yogic and Ayurvedic traditions. I would be more than happy to recommend several books if you are interested. If you want an online resource, check out the Yoga Journal. There are interactive workshops and pose descriptions.
    Best of luck to you in your adventures! :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I've also been doing yoga for a decade - wow, never thought of it that way. I do Anusara and Iyengar mostly, and I teach one weekly class.

You should continue with the Hatha class (they are all Hatha, but generally that term is used for a calmer type of practice). Once you feel comfortable in the poses, try many types of yoga - you will like some much better than others. Yoga Journal has a quiz to figure out which type would probably suit you best:

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/quizzes_and_tools/stylequiz

try not to worry about not being able to do the poses - like naturalmom, I can't get a bind in many poses. Everyone has things they can do and things that are difficult. Best of luck!

ps: for those that think yoga is only for skinny people, check out my local yogini:
    http://www.heartfeltyoga.com/index.htm
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your advice! The studio where I took my class is offering a 6-week 'beginner' course starting in May so I decided to take that. And I will try out another basic class during the week and either take that one or stick with the one I went to yesterday. I think once I take the course I will have a better idea of what I want to do with myself! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.