any 1200 calorie success stories?

Options

Replies

• Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    1200 net calories a day for the past 550+ days...113 pounds of success! :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My Dr. put me at 1000 - 1200 calories but MFP said 1300. I have lost 41 pounds since mid July. Don't do a lot of exercise - kettlebell and stationary bike 3 - 4 times a week - but don't usually post exercise. I think MFP is way off on calories burned. I started at a tight size 24 and am now in a comfortable size 18. Have not lost a lot of weight the past couple months but have lost some inches and I now have some muscle in my upper arms from Kettlebell. So yes - it is possible to be successful at 1200 calories.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I could be put in that category. Been at it for about 2 months now & doing great.
    Eat around 1100-1300, once a week maybe 1500. Net usually 1000-1200.
    I'm only 5'2" and very sedentary - I don't even work or go to school.
    I eat really healthy too. "Mostly organic vegetarian" is what I say lol. Although I will indulge in pizza today like I do a couple times a month. I love cheese.
    I started doing home workouts since I finally started being able to move around a couple months ago. (Health issues that prevented me from being active is what made me gain weight.)
    After 2&1/2 weeks, I've been losing about 1lb every week &1/2, which is fine with me if it keeps going that way! :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're supporting my assertion or refuting it, lol!
    Supporting. ;) The conclusion is a pretty clear reason as to why it's not a good idea to bust it in the gym 7 days a week while eating a paltry amount of food. As you said, it's not a race, so why the rush? I'd rather reach my goal weight in 5 years than 5 months by eating a proper amount of food that won't screw up my metabolism.

Totally agree. We're on the same page :)
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been floating around 1200 since I stared in Jan. Lost 25 lbs, and feeling great. I'll admit the next 25 has required more exercise and weight training, so I'll probably have to increase cals that soon. But I think younshould do what feels right. Just keep in mind tat your body is changing, you'll no doubt have to change along the way.
  • valleymum
    valleymum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep, 1200 and occasionally less than 1200 calories works just fine for me. I get plenty to eat and I'm definitely not hungry or starving myself. Now, I wouldn't suggest eating two 600 calorie muffins and calling it a day, but you can eat fruit, veggies, cheese, eggs, grains, or really, anything you like in moderate portions. Granted, some people need more than 1200 calories and I think a lot of it depends on your genetic makeup, your physical activity, etc., but others do just fine and are very well satisfied with their 1200 caloric intake.

I don't skip meals and I eat my fair share of snacks. I just happen to 'like' a lot of the low cal foods. For example, I am perfectly content eating an entire can of green beans with half a pat of real butter and a dash of salt & pepper which comes to about 83 calories total. Add in a delicious Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patty on top of half of a homemade, lightly buttered biscuit, and for dessert, a container of Activia 60 calorie yogurt and a juicy Cuties clementine and that entire meal is roughly 354 calories.

A grilled cheese sandwich, using Aunt Millie's Light Wholegrain Bread @ 35 calories a slice and a slice of Kraft Cheese @ 45 calories, an entire pat of real butter, spread thinly on each slice of bread, and *GASP* half a can of Baby Coke, and you're looking at 171 calories of delicious. Accompany the sandwich with a bowl of veggie or tomato soup and you have a filling, satisfying meal.

My snacks include string cheese, apples, bananas, yogurt, nuts, hard boiled eggs, popsicles, fudgesicles, fresh fruit in season, yummy protein bars...lots of tasty things. In short, I can munch all day, depriving myself of nothing, and still stay within that 1200 calorie range.

So, to all the 1200 calorie naysayers, I say "Come on over and spend the day with me! I guarantee you will not go home hungry and you will be shocked by the amount of food there is in 1200 calories!"

LOL!! i think we are foodie twins! im glad to hear im not the only one who will down a can of green beans :)
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yep, 1200 and occasionally less than 1200 calories works just fine for me. I get plenty to eat and I'm definitely not hungry or starving myself. Now, I wouldn't suggest eating two 600 calorie muffins and calling it a day, but you can eat fruit, veggies, cheese, eggs, grains, or really, anything you like in moderate portions. Granted, some people need more than 1200 calories and I think a lot of it depends on your genetic makeup, your physical activity, etc., but others do just fine and are very well satisfied with their 1200 caloric intake.

I don't skip meals and I eat my fair share of snacks. I just happen to 'like' a lot of the low cal foods. For example, I am perfectly content eating an entire can of green beans with half a pat of real butter and a dash of salt & pepper which comes to about 83 calories total. Add in a delicious Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patty on top of half of a homemade, lightly buttered biscuit, and for dessert, a container of Activia 60 calorie yogurt and a juicy Cuties clementine and that entire meal is roughly 354 calories.

A grilled cheese sandwich, using Aunt Millie's Light Wholegrain Bread @ 35 calories a slice and a slice of Kraft Cheese @ 45 calories, an entire pat of real butter, spread thinly on each slice of bread, and *GASP* half a can of Baby Coke, and you're looking at 171 calories of delicious. Accompany the sandwich with a bowl of veggie or tomato soup and you have a filling, satisfying meal.

My snacks include string cheese, apples, bananas, yogurt, nuts, hard boiled eggs, popsicles, fudgesicles, fresh fruit in season, yummy protein bars...lots of tasty things. In short, I can munch all day, depriving myself of nothing, and still stay within that 1200 calorie range.

So, to all the 1200 calorie naysayers, I say "Come on over and spend the day with me! I guarantee you will not go home hungry and you will be shocked by the amount of food there is in 1200 calories!"

LOL!! i think we are foodie twins! im glad to hear im not the only one who will down a can of green beans :)

I can promise you this, you won't fill me up on 1200 calories, you would just make me mad.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs since January 4th. My Calorie limit is set to 1200 and usually I net at or slightly under/over that goal. I have a desk job so I am quite inactive most of the day. I workout for an hour at least 5 days a week. I typically do 35min Ellipical/30min Strength. On Wednesdays I only do Cardio so usually 50-60 minutes on the Ellipical. Lately I have started walking 1.5 miles 2-3 days a week on top of that. I try to eat back my calories but honestly I don't eat dinner until 7-8pm and by the time I get the kids to bed and actually settled in it is too late to eat just to fill in calories. You cannot kill your metabolism but your body will eventually get used to eating 1200 calories if you eat that consistantly over time. I try to "mix it up" and allow myself days where I eat maintenance just to keep my metabolism guessing. My plan for maintenance is to gradually add in more calories as I get closer to goal - this way my metabolism has time to adjust.

I think I eat as MUCH as I ever did but it gets easier to eat less calories as I eat healthier - grilled chicken fills me up just as much as a greasy burger but has way less calories/fat. I don't feel I need to eat if I am not hungry just to ensure that I ate as many calories as I would have previously due to bad choices. I am not tired or lethargic - in fact I feel better and more energized then I have in years.
  • CLFord79
    CLFord79 Posts: 5
    Options
    1200 calories is perfect for me and it is working! I'm not in a hurry to lose weight either, I want to do it the right way. This is the first time I am losing weight (15lbs so far, 65 more to go) without taking diet pills or starving myself or doing some wacky HCG or cabbage soup diet or whatever. 1200 calories can be plenty if you're eating right. Sure, you can eat 1200 calories worth of garbage, but you won't be satisfied and you'll feel hungry and have low energy. But if you fill your day with lots of high quality foods like lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and healthy fats, 1200 calories is a lot of food!!! I don't feel hungry or cheated at all, and have never had this much energy in my life. Also, if I want to go over in calories by splurging on a cookie or a piece of cake or something, I do! The difference now is that I keep myself accountable and I work for it. 40 jumping jacks, 30 crunches, 20 squats, and 10 push ups is a quick 100 calorie workout that takes less that 5 minutes. At the end of the night, if I've gone a bit over in my calories, I do one or two rounds of this mini-workout to stay within my goal. For me, a 5'3" woman, 1200 calories is perfect and I tell you, not only is my weight dropping, but my skin and hair have never looked so good!!!
  • tscott1964
    Options
    1200 cals a day is working well for me. I factor in exercise but to not to use all my extra calories from exercise. I feel successful so I am continuing!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Is 1200cals working for me?

Started Jan. 11, 2013....female....age 61...height 5'3" SW:147.5 CW:133.5 (as of today)

I'd say "YES"
  • Mzohh
    Mzohh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ive been doing the 1200 calorie for about a month now. I must admit more days then less I eat far less from 1200. But I do not feel hungry. If im hungry I will eat i'm just making healthier choices with my food. I've lost so far about 10lbs and wanna lose 40 more!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have seldom, in over a year here, eaten many over 1200, I do eat back a few of my exercise calories from time to time but rarely log more than 1300 calories. As you can see I have lost 90 pounds. I consider that success.
  • abc71
    abc71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1200 is how I lost the last 10 lbs after I plateaued at 140. I was hungry at first but now I struggle to make sure I actually eat all 1200. There are days I realize I'm at 800-1000 and I won't have the energy for a good workout if I short myself. I don't count back in the exercise calories. When I was doing that, I didn't lose the weight.
  • blind4
    blind4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well i am doing the 1200 and is working for me, but i am really eating like 1500 to 1700, but because i do the exercises i go under 1200 in NET Calories so..... but if your doing it with out the exercises then, if you don't starve then go ahead :-)

P.S i am losing 5lbs a week with these routine
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    The question I have is: if you CAN eat more than 1200 calories/day and still lose weight, why wouldn't you?

The question is what if you can't lose weight eating more than 1200?
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    If you can do it AND hit your macros AND are not hungry then all power to you! I eat between 1450-1900. I am 5,2 and 103.5 lbs. I love exercising but I also love and enjoy my food :)

Also wanted to add that when I was doing 1200 and not eating exercise calories back I did not lose. When I did 1200 plus about 350 exercise calories brining it to 1550 then I started losing!
  • bookwurm916
    bookwurm916 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Several months ago I completely changed how I eat. Like so many others I ate a carb filled breakfast, always seemed to be hungry mid- morning so I'd have a snack, generally carbs, then be famished again come lunchtime. I'm now eating 1100-1200 calories a day with 100-110 grams of protien & exercising at least 60 minutes a day. The calorie count is strictly food calorie count - excludes calorie reduction for exercising. At first it was a struggle to eat so much protien & keep within my daily calorie count but it has become much easier. I find that by eating 30+ grams of protien for breakfast I no longer have the need for a mid-morning snack & often am not hungry come lunchtime although I do eat lunch so I can get 3 meals a day. Since early January when I started my lifestyle change, I have dropped 28 lbs!

Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince & dinner like a Pauper. This tactic has also worked well for me.

Good luck!!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The question I have is: if you CAN eat more than 1200 calories/day and still lose weight, why wouldn't you?

Um, that is not a 1200 cal/day success story sir!