Cycle HRM says 1200 burned.. online calculator says 460???

Hi,

So I'm confused, my bike says that I burned 1200 calories in 60 minutes of vigorous cycling, but I checked it out online by inputting my weight, height etc etc and it says 460 burned. I'm thinking it's more likely to be 460.

Confused.com!!!

Replies

• I have this elliptical machine who thinks I burn 150cal for an hour of interval training. And a cycle at the gym says I burn 800cal for 40mins. I think they are both wrong. The only real way to know is to have a very expensive HRM and again, it might not be accurate.

BTW, 1200cal is what I used to burn doing Insanity, according to my HRM. If after your workout you feel like asking questions in MFP, trust me, you didn't burn that much, :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    HRMs in equipment tend to become faulty over time. Ideally, wearing a HRM (Polar FT4 for example) would give you the best accurate calories burned figure (notice I say "the best", not "perfect"). So I would go with the online calculator over the cardio machines.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    460 is probably more accurate. 1200 per hour cycling, when it's real, it in the ballpark of 26 mph avg, about 335 watts.

Before someone comes along and says that being heavy or inefficient will make you burn more calories: that's true, but only on a very small level. It won't make you burn calories like professional can.