Eating healthy in a sorority house

courtneyam22
courtneyam22 Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Right now I'm living in my sorority house, which I love. But I don't love that I cannot cook my own food, or even have a say in what is prepared every day. For every meal we have a salad bar, but that gets real boring real fast. Our chef is amazing but he has a fixation on white pasta, cream sauces, bread and butter-and he makes the most amazing desserts! Most of his entrees are centered around meat and I am a newbie vegetarian. Any tips on how to deal with trying to eat healthy when all the options are absolute caloric nightmares? (Also, it doesn't help that all the girls are stick thin and can eat absolutely anything and not put on a pound!)

Replies

• Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    I don't really know how sororities work, but perhaps you could talk to the chef directly or bring up in a meeting that, as a vegetarian you were wondering if it's possible to include more veggies in the menu. Grilled veggies are super easy to fix and taste great.
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    There has to be a sister that is in charge of these house matters (always was in my house). Talk to them about bringing it up at your next formal business meeting. Diversifying the menu to include a vegetarian option or meals that can easily be turned into a veggie option shouldn't be to hard. Chances are your chef will be able to accommodate any special dietary needs. There are probably even sisters that will go for this once in a while if they can. For the desserts, sorry to say, you'll have to learn to deal with not taking them or only taking them once in a great while.

These are your sisters, they should care about your health as much as you do. Also, being able to say that the house offers a tasty vegetarian option in its meals may be helpful during RUSH.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Good luck...:grumble: I gained like 20 lbs when I lived in the soror house!
This discussion has been closed.